EVGA Interview Dual Monitor System Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,748
Points 1,210,300
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jul 16 2009 8:46 AM

EVGA's Interview Dual Monitor System incorporates a pair of 17" widescreen LCDs with an innovative rotatable stand that allows the user to flip a panel over to share a desktop display with someone sitting across from them on the other side of the desk. These twin TFT displays support a native resolution of 1440X900 and rotate 180 degrees vertically and 90 degrees horizontally. They will also re-orientate themselves depending on which direction they are flipped, in order to provide the correct viewing orientation for the user that is facing the display. The system also comes with a three port USB hub and an integrated web cam for web conferencing on the system. At a retail price of $649.99, you're going to pay a premium over a pair of discrete 17" LCDs but in return you're treated with design elegance, flexibility and configurability of these monitors for collaboration or a clean multi-monitor setup in a small workspace...

EVGA Interview Dual Monitor System Review

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Thu, Jul 16 2009 11:06 AM

That's pretty neat, but I would have like to have seen a design that minimizes the space between the two monitors. What's the distance between these two? 4 inches?

In their setup, anything app spanning both screens is going to be very hard to use.

Also, for $650, I would have expected something larger than 17".

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Thu, Jul 16 2009 11:37 AM

Yeah, with a border right in the middle, this is immediately unsuitable for gaming, and at only 17" they are also almost unsuitable for work.

Something tells me this is a proof of concept design, however, which I'd agree is a great start.  Just so long as they go places with this, though.  I really love the integrated nature of the whole thing. The display hookups at the bottom are really great.

In order to make such a thing truly rock for power users, I say, get a 3x span of monitors that are at least 19" for less than $1000 and then we're talking.  And to add to the deal, integrate a Matrox TripleHead2Go DE into the base so you only have one hookup for all three of your monitors, then Windows sees the whole thing as one giant screen.

><((((">Lev Astov

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,692
Points 55,940
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Jul 16 2009 2:19 PM

Gents, good feedback for sure but remember, this panel is really for the business user looking to share the desktop with someone on the other side of the table. Spanning is more of a secondary application but definitely useful obviously. That said, I think there is a good market for a true enthusiast multi-monitor setup as you described here.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Thu, Jul 16 2009 5:09 PM

Yeah, but especially for the businessperson, they should install something like a Matrox video splitter so you don't need two separate video outputs from your PC. That and some fancy software to help with the cloning of the display would make it great even with laptops.

><((((">Lev Astov

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,692
Points 55,940
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Jul 16 2009 9:56 PM

Exactly, Lev.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Jul 17 2009 12:13 AM

Hmmm... I've tried, but I just can't think of a business situation where you would want to be constantly shifting your second monitor to and away from someone on the other side of the desk. It looks like a solution in search of a problem. ;\

Anyone considering this should should just get a video card with dual outputs, _three_ 19" monitors, and a video splitter for the second desktop - it'll give you more desktop space, be less expensive, and you won't need to be shifting your monitor all day long.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS