Universal Pictures Wins Rights To Asteroids

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,676
Points 1,155,610
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jul 3 2009 6:58 PM

A four-studio bidding war has ended and Universal Pictures has won the film rights to the classic Atari video game "Asteroids." Asteroids was originally released as an arcade game in 1979. In the game, players control a triangular spaceship as they attempt to shoot and destroy masses of rock and an occasional flying saucer while avoiding running into either obstruction.

Unlike today’s games, Asteroids lacks a story line or fancy world-building mythology so Universal Pictures must create a plot from scratch. The studio isn’t new to this process: It’s currently in the middle of creating plots for several popular board games from Hasbro including Battleship and Candyland.

Matthew Lopez will write the script for the adaptation of the game to the big screen. Lopez came from Disney's writing program. He has worked on recent movies such as "Bedtime Stories" and "Race to Witch Mountain." He also wrote the most recent draft of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," which is currently being produced and stars Nicolas Cage and Jay Baruchel.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Fri, Jul 3 2009 9:22 PM

Uhmmm... lil' bit late?

The videogame has enough material for a nail-biting 8-minute scenario... trumped by the sequence we already saw when the Enterprise used the gravity of that asteroid to slingshot itself out of the field.

I can't believe that they would call the movie "Asteroids", as people might think it's a sequel to "Asteroid", nor can I think of anything they gain from the "story" that would have been deemed plagiarism. So what did they get?

i.e. I would immediately fire the person from my studio responsible for the bidding.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Fri, Jul 3 2009 9:23 PM

Disclaimer: Love the game and used to play it all the time.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Fri, Jul 3 2009 9:28 PM

>> Lopez came from Disney's writing program.

Oh crap... look for a wisecracking droid to banter with the ship AI / straight man.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Jul 3 2009 11:17 PM

Come on man! Where's your imagination! That's some serious special effects we could work on the screen! Just think, black, white, LINES... oh man! It'll be HUGE.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sun, Jul 5 2009 1:15 PM

ROFL!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

I already know it will be better than the Super Mario Bros movie.

Hello

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Thu, Jul 9 2009 10:00 PM

I could imagine a documentary on early video games but a movie with a plot!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Crisis Causer:

I already know it will be better than the Super Mario Bros movie.

Oh god, not that movie!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS