EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified Motherboard Reviewed

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,851
Points 1,171,130
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jul 1 2009 1:07 PM
EVGA commonly produces their mainstream motherboard products first, while in tandem, begins work on their high-end enthusiast product. It's taken roughly four months since the time EVGA launched their first Intel X58 motherboard (the more than worthy X58 3X SLI) to follow it up with their enthusiast-class product, which we'll be looking at today. That board is EVGA's new X58 Classified motherboard. With a whopping $425 price-tag, $125 higher than their baseline X58 motherboard, EVGA is confident that they have a board which can out-class all others in order to demand such a price premium.  But what do you get for that extra $125?  Read on to find out...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

nice review guys. Sounds like you really enjoyed working with that board. How did it fare compared to the Rampage 2 Extreme you guys fiddled with a few months back.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60

No ECC on core i7. no ECC means the memory could very well not be working at all and if the OS HAPPENS to crash you might find out. It is criminal in 2009 to not have universal ECC.

Who knows, maybe Air France 447 was brought down by-non-ECC memory on a computer. No ECC is a deadly game ultimatly.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

^^^probably due to the price of it^^^

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

I really like the Evga mobos. Is there enough cooling of the NB/SB to run a water cooling system w/o extra cooling?

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Jul 2 2009 11:32 PM

mickrussom:

No ECC on core i7. no ECC means the memory could very well not be working at all and if the OS HAPPENS to crash you might find out. It is criminal in 2009 to not have universal ECC.

Who knows, maybe Air France 447 was brought down by-non-ECC memory on a computer. No ECC is a deadly game ultimatly.

What consumer level PC platform are you aware of today that uses ECC?  And if it did, would it be worth the cost premium?  No, the vast majority of desktop PCs do not currently need ECC.  You example of Air France is about a mission critical application.  This is where ECC memory and error correction detection architectures need to be robust and make sense from a cost standpoint.  The Enterprise level is even an application where it makes sense but for the end user, at least with current manufacturing processes, it just doesn't make sense nor is it feasible from a cost standpoint.

You seem to be on an ECC kick though.  I see your comments on our Dell XPS desktop review were very much the same?  You wouldn't have an axe to grind, would you?  Smile

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Jul 2 2009 11:41 PM

Der Meister:

I really like the Evga mobos. Is there enough cooling of the NB/SB to run a water cooling system w/o extra cooling?

I would say so Der.  For sure.

Editor In Chief

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Jul 2 2009 11:44 PM

nelsoncp21:

nice review guys. Sounds like you really enjoyed working with that board. How did it fare compared to the Rampage 2 Extreme you guys fiddled with a few months back.

These motherboards are very much on the same playing field, Nelson.  I'd say look at features and see how they line up with your needs.  It's a very close call but the Asus board is slightly less expensive but POSSIBLY less overclockable... possibly.

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 155
JAdams replied on Wed, Mar 2 2011 10:23 PM

This mobo looks so beastly hahaha. 8 sata ports? Mass raid 0? I think so ;D

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS