Kid Uses Walkman For A Week, Misses iPod Dearly

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,334
Points 1,191,115
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jun 30 2009 9:20 PM

It's somewhat hard to believe, but Sony's iconic and downright legendary Walkman turned 30 this year. Three decades ago, Sony's craftsmanship propelled a bulky, one-trick audio player onto the portable scene, sparking a revolution that continues today. But 30 years after its introduction, the original Walkman has little revlence in the world of iPods and other MP3 players. In order to prove such a fact, the BBC decided to give a 13 year old Briton a Walkman cassette player for a week instead of an iPod.

The story that ensued is one of the more hilarious that we've seen. Even for an adept teenage boy, he was baffled by some of the peculiarities. For instance, he mistook the normal/metal switch for an equalizer, and he was appaled by the incredibly brief 3 hour battery life. It also took 3 days for him to realize that tapes have two sides, and the only "Shuffle" feature he could find involved mashing the rewind button and letting go at a random point.

Amazingly, he did find aspects of the Walkman that were superior to Apple's iPod. For instance, the Walkman was equipped with two headphone jacks, and there was also a built-in AC adapter for plugging it in while near an AC outlet. Still, the terrible audio quality and giant size made the Walkman somewhat of an embarrassment to use in public, but we'd recommend giving the Via link a look for the full story. Better still, why not give your own kid your Walkman for a week and see how he/she fares?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,485
Points 47,155
ForumsAdministrator

News:
It's somewhat hard to believe, but Sony's iconic and downright legendary Walkman turned 30 this year.

Has it really been that long? I ran a 10k with a Walkman playing Boston years ago!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Ha Ha! I used to love my walkman. Used to get in trouble at school for having it. I would string the cord up my sleeve and were my hood up on my hoodie.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

I read this article by chance on the BBC website. It's interesting how technology was a while back and how people cope with the old stuff now.

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS