Missing files in my External Hard Drive... pls help :(

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
Trek_00 Posted: Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:03 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and before posting this thread I've tried searching for the same issue im having but I couldn't find the answer. So here it goes:

I recently acquired a WD external hard drive to backup my files from my HP laptop (windows xp pro). I started saving and updating my files using the external hard drive since my HP laptop is becoming unstable. I always use the safe remove devise before unplugging my external hard drive. Then last week, my HP laptop wont boot at all. So, I have tried accessing my files in the WD external hard drive from different laptops (windows xp pro and tried it on windows xp media center as well)  and I found that some files are missing - mostly document files (pdf, excel, word, photoshop files). My pictures, musics and softwares are there...

I have tried doing the check disk and no luck... my files are still missing. Any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful. I'm currently tight on budget and I cant afford to have this fixed at a shop. Pls help Sad

Here are some additional info:

Old HP laptop: Windows XP not sure what service pack, I think its NTFS

Other laptops: Windwos XP pro and media center service pack 3, both are NTFS

WD External Hard Drive: 500GB, FAT32

Thank you in advance and I appreciate your feedback.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jun 6 2009 4:05 PM

I'm thinking the files may not have been copied to the external drive due to some kind of file-locking issue (potentially the side-effect of a virus), since everything else is there and you used safe-disconnect.

Exactly what kind of issues were you having with the laptop?  Was it something hardware related, or software?  If it's the latter, you should be able to boot from a LiveCD and copy off the files you need.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
Trek_00 replied on Sun, Jun 7 2009 2:12 AM

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I have the HP Presario V3000. They have problems with the motherboard. I guess its poorly designed and it overheats. I decided to purchase the external hard drive to backup the files I have and I think Ive transferred them correctly. I can see them and even edit them using the HP Presario for about a month. Then when my laptop didnt boot last week, I knew the time was up and need to replace the motherboard. So, this was the first time I connected the exernal hard drive to a different computer and some files are not there anymore... :(

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

What you can do, so long as you have not fiddled with the laptop harddrive, is get your hands on a case for that internal, or some kind of cable to connect it to a computer by usb.  Then once you're booted into windows, you can view that drive and then take the files off again.  This can be done with a live cd, or in another windows computer.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
Trek_00 replied on Sun, Jun 7 2009 1:07 PM

oh, i apologize to confuse everyone... I shouldnt have said backup my files... I should have said transfered my files to my external hard drive. Sad so my files are no longer on my laptop hard drive. I guess I'm running out of options to recover my files on the external hard drive? Sad

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Do the other cpmputers have the same programs on them IE photoshop and office?

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
Trek_00 replied on Tue, Jun 9 2009 5:14 PM

Yes, I have the same programs installed.

Thank you guys for looking into this and for your suggestions! Many thanks.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Maybe this is a stretch, but what if that drive is failing too?  Run some recovery software just to make sure.  Try Recuva if you need a free one.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
Trek_00 replied on Wed, Jun 10 2009 1:01 AM

Thank you so much! I appreciate it! I will try it tomorrow and I will post the results. I appreciate your feedbacks!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS