WD My Book World Edition NAS Device Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,340
Points 1,191,160
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, May 20 2009 10:57 AM

The old adage, "looks can be deceiving," applies very well to the Western Digital My Book World Edition network-attached storage (NAS) device. With its small and simplistic physical design, housed in white plastic, and featuring only a set of white LED status light on its front, this NAS device belies the power, features, and depth of configuration options just hiding beneath its shiny veneer.

Which is not to say that the WD My Book World Edition NAS device isn't simple to use--it is actually one of the easier NAS devices we've worked with. Network storage neophytes should have little trouble getting up and running in no time. But contrary to the seemingly simple nature of the product, those looking for advanced administration options will be very impressed with what the WD My Book World Edition can do beyond being just being a networked receptacle for file sharing, media streaming, and automated backups...

WD My Book World Edition NAS Device

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

I bought the 1TB version several months ago and have to agree with the review.  It is all around a very good NAS, took me longer to get it out of the box and plugged in then it took to get it setup, and it seemlessly handles plugged in USB drives.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, May 20 2009 9:18 PM

Does it still have the horrible DRM that stopped me from buying anymore WD externals? http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2007/12/western-digital/

I'd like to be able to put my own home movies on the drive I own without it treating everything as copywritten and stolen.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

I haven't had any DRM problems with mine.

*EDIT*

Don't install the software for normal WD external drives and you won't have the DRM problem (since the drive itself has no DRM).  The WD NAS has no DRM in software at all.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS