4-Way SSD Round-Up: OCZ, Corsair, Kingston, Super Talent

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,154
Points 1,185,200
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, May 15 2009 1:12 PM

The SSD market is incredibly hot at the moment. Not only is there a consistent influx of new products that seemingly leapfrog the previous generation in nearly every way, but already established products have been treated to firmware updates that enhance their performance and capabilities as well.

Over the course of the last few months, we rounded up a number of solid state drives and featured products from Intel, OCZ, and others independently. Ultimately, we found that Intel's X25-M series of drives was the current kingpin in terms of overall performance, but since our initial look, a slew of new drives have hit the market and Intel has updated the X25-M's firmware to eliminate a potential performance degradation issue. Due to all of the recent activity in the SSD space, we thought it was a good time to round-up another assortment of solid state drives to get a better feel for the current landscape.

4-Way SSD Round-Up Redux, OCZ, Corsair, Kingston, SuperTalent

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Nice right up. I am ordering either a WD scorpio black or a OCZ Solid Series for my netbook here in about an hour. The Solid series are slower, but for $109 for 30GBs a better deal. I am waiting on the girlfriend approval to find out which one I can getEmbarrassed

Anyway if I get the SSD and like it I may get a higher end SSD for my desktop down the road. I just need the a bigger one in size. I want one that can hold my OS and my steam foler(which is 51GBs right now)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Hi there,

unfortunately you didn't test the SSDs with the latest firmwares!

Super Talent UltraDrive ME have a new firmware 1370, which sets the max. write speed to 200 MBps and read speed to 260 MBps on all drives.

And with that the overall performance and 4k random write and read should be improved also.

I think the OCZ drives have also a new firmware 1.10 or such.

So please update your article/test with the newest firmware.

Besides this, your article is good, but not great, because of lack of newest firmware!

Thanks in advance!

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS