Zotac IONITX-A NVIDIA Ion-Based Motherboard

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,804
Points 1,164,195
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, May 12 2009 10:14 AM

NVIDIA's Ion platform generated quite a buzz when news first broke of the company's plans late last year. As such, we've been keeping on top of Ion-related developments and have posted a number of stories related to Ion, beginning with our coverage of the platform at this year's Consumer Electronics Show. We followed that up with an evaluation of NVIDIA's own Ion reference system, and a few weeks back took a look at the first design win announced for the platform, the Acer Aspire Revo.

Today though, we're going to take a look Zotac's brand new Ion-based motherboard. What makes this product interesting to us is that it's the first one designed for the do-it-yourself crowd looking to assemble their own small form factor systems. The model we're going to feature here is outfitted with a dual core Atom N330 processor, integrated WiFi and HD audio, and of course the NVIDIA Ion platform processor. Zotac's Ion motherboard has a few other tricks up its virtual sleeve as well, but we're not going to give everything away right here. Read on for the full scoop and check out what has the potential to be one of the more sought after mini-ITX platforms released to date...

Zotac IONITX-A NVIDIA Ion-Based Motherboard

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Seems a bit pricey for the performance you really get. Still a very cool board. I could see that second core really helping out. While the Atom is "fast enough" it feels very limiting in what you can do with it.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

What is the mini-ITX enclosure at the very bottom of page 3 of the review?

I have been considering this motherboard in a build but can't find any cases I like that don't feature a PSU of some sort already included which makes the PSU in the case redundant and an added cost. The one at the bottom of page 3 appears to be relatively small and I imagine without a PSU due to its size.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,356
Points 48,595
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, May 13 2009 10:14 AM

That case is the iStar S3 Storm...

http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-productdetails.cv_-_item--CE00005336010060

It does come with a PSU, but it is external.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS