PC Dying? No!

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev Posted: Mon, May 11 2009 3:06 AM

Familiar with all those threads that claim that PC is dying and cite sources that leave you unconvinced with just exaggerated losses from piracy and no trend showing that gamers are playing less games, time or money. Such arguments usually amount to "pirateybay has grown by x amount and game x sold y amount on consoles and z* on the PC therefore. . .PC must be dying!" I'll admit PC hasn't seen the same explosive growth the consoles have and has simply ticked along at a steady perpetual single digit percent per year or something. Far from a platform on its death bed, I think you'll agree. 
Anyway this thread is about how I think the opposite is going to happen to the PC. PC will grow faster in the next 5 than the last 5 years.  All opinions are mine. 

• Graphics on high end PCs have overtaken consoles (arguable, I think its a fair comment though). This means such graphics will trickle down to the mid and entry level in the next few of years as it always has. Playstation 4 is still pretty far away, 2011 at the earliest in reality.  
  • PC has a perpetually evolving, growing distribution system(s). Optical/Physical formats are becoming old hat already, Blu-Ray will have some flirting with games but will be the last format. 
  • Digital distribution is producing exciting increases, while PC retail sales are slowing and in many cases falling (recession no doubt) 
  • Even strong PC skeptics like EA (who've made such comments on the PC platform), are changing their view of the PC horizon.http://tiny.cc/TM6Cv 
  • It will be these distributions systems that will benefit the gamers the most. How many middlemen are taken out of the picture? 
  • This will lead to a significant drop in prices, which gamers have been clamoring for years. Thus a decrease in revenue and increase in profit. 
  • I doubt consoles will adapt to this popular fresh way of getting games as easily as the PC, Why?
  • Consoles (not Wii) are usually sold at a loss, manufacturer makes it back on game royalties, they need the massive revenue they currently have to absorb such losses. (some numbers to back this mini hypothesis would make it a very strong point, I will an auld Google).
\n
Any observations that could strengthen/take down my argument?
*Where z<x

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 65
Points 800
dizowned replied on Mon, May 11 2009 7:24 AM

In all realistic since, the only thing that has really set the PC apart from the console is the interface. As you mentioned the graphics and everything else will eventually trickle down and thats just due to the age ole hardware minification problems. The reason why dedicated consoles will eventually completly overtake the PC as a viable platform is simply because they are dedicated and fixed which makes developers/publishers lives more easy. Therefore the only thing that remains is the interface. The mouse/keyboard interface is pretty much unparralled when it comes to fps/rts type games, where as the analog controller works when it comes to racing type of games (2D axis). Now some may argue that, ooo halo/fallout/... had PC and console variants and the controls were okay; and I would honestly have to agree, but you cant argue that being able to swing 180 degrees in a fraction of a second is beyond consoles simply becuase of the analog 2D interface. So long as console makers refuse to address the interface handicap of the consoles we will be stuck with this haugepauge of 80's interface with modern hardware, which will do nothing but aid in the PC's viability as a gaming platform. However, if console manufactures actually figure this out (which if the wii is any indication may already be happening), then the PC maybe on its way to being more of a niche/testing/viability/R&D platform than a gaming platform, at least in the modern sense.

It's not custom unless your the only one who can boot it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Dev:

• Even strong PC skeptics like EA (who've made such comments on the PC platform), are changing their view of the PC horizon.http://tiny.cc/TM6Cv 

Do you really think they're skeptics?  I mean, they are the ones who realeased spore.

Dev:

• I doubt consoles will adapt to this popular fresh way of getting games as easily as the PC, Why?

Are you talking about file sharing?

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS