The Public Gets its Chance at Windows 7 RC

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,847
Points 1,170,600
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, May 6 2009 10:03 AM
As Microsoft promised, on Tuesday, the Windows 7 Release Candidate was made available to the public. It had previously been available to TechNet and MSDN subscribers.

Here are the details from Microsoft:
So do you want to put the Windows 7 RC through its paces? Just like with the Windows 7 Beta, you can register to download the Windows 7 RC at the Windows 7 page on Windows.com.

You will be required to register in order to download the RC. This is where you will also be provided with a Product Key to activate your copy. Previously issued Product Keys for the Windows 7 Beta are not intended for continued use, we are recommending that you register and get a new Product Key for the Windows 7 RC.

The Windows 7 RC will be available for download as an ISO image which will need to be burned onto a DVD. Additionally, consistent with the Windows 7 Beta, the Windows 7 RC will be available in one edition – Windows 7 Ultimate.

The Windows 7 RC will be available in English, French, German, Japanese and Spanish and each language will be available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
As we previously indicated, a Windows 7 Beta to Windows 7 RC upgrade is not recommended by Microsoft. In fact, it won't work. There is a workaround detailed in our prior post which will allow you to do an upgrade, but since most users will upgrade from Vista, this is what Microsoft wants users to do (or else a fresh install, but remember also that an XP to 7 upgrade will not be possible).

This build will expire, as will the prior beta release.
  • For Beta, bi-hourly shutdowns will begin July 1st, 2009. You will be alerted to install a released version of Windows and your PC will shut down automatically every 2 hours. On August 1st, 2009 if you are still on the Windows 7 Beta your license for the Windows 7 Beta will expire and the non-genuine experience is triggered where your wallpaper is removed and “This copy of Windows is not genuine” will be displayed in the lower right corner above the taskbar.
  • For the RC, bi-hourly shutdowns will begin on March 1st, 2010. You will be alerted to install a released version of Windows and your PC will shut down automatically every 2 hours. On June 1st, 2010 if you are still on the Windows 7 RC your license for the Windows 7 RC will expire and the non-genuine experience is triggered where your wallpaper is removed and “This copy of Windows is not genuine” will be displayed in the lower right corner above the taskbar.
Microsoft hopes to erase memories of Windows Vista with Windows 7, but it is still being cheeky about the release date for the new OS. However, Acer earlier gave a date in October. We will see what we will see.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140

I love the Rc so far, though it is slower than the Beta.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Wed, May 6 2009 5:55 PM

I installed it (64-bit version) in VirtualBox for testing, and it seemed reasonably fast so far... What operations seem slower than beta for you?

I only tried beta for a couple of hours before the blue-screening (caused by buggy antivirus software) drove me to delete it... so I don't have a good point of reference. But, the RC seems better than Vista, at least.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

I have the ISO on my despktop but have yet to install it... maybe some time later this week or tomorrow...

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

I have Win7 beta build 7000 and it runs so smoothly that I hate to give it up! Well, here goes...

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

I have the RC on my new rig. I have also noticed it's a bit slower thn the Beta.

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

Dang. I am installing it on my test rig and the Pentium 4 3.0GHz CPU with the Radeon 9800 PRO AGP was running too hot! The overheat buzzer was blaring and the install stalled! I had to start all over, with a big fan blowing into the case. Now everything is cool, and I like it! Will post back again with more thoughts later.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah I think I will get around to it this weekend. I am running the beta right now on my deskop.

The real fun I am having right now is playing with Ubuntus Netbook RemixBig Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Thu, May 7 2009 1:57 PM

I had the 7000(beta release since it's release) now I have the RC(7100) on my laptop and desktop. One word of caution the drivers from Nvid and ATI if allowed to will over clock your GPU's by default pretty high. In fact when I unlocked the ATI one it overclocked 50 higher than I had ever oc'd the card. It is stable and seems to run fine, but that may be where the heat issues come from.

I have bot noticed any slow down, in fact I played Vanguard last night in a multi-group dungeon for hours and it seemed to perform better than even XP for over 3 hours. Either way; I give big prop's to Msoft on this one, they seem to be doing a truly great job on this OS.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS