Hard Disk Failure

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
maftiblaze Posted: Sun, May 3 2009 7:04 PM

Hi everyone. thanks for taking the trouble to read this. I have a dell desktop and my secondary hard disk is failing. i have partitioned the hard disk into two but i already have a primary disk. the primary disk seems to work fine. but the secondary disk asks me to format it anytime i try to access any of the two partitions. i cant afford to format it because i have a lot of important data on it. I run chkdsk, it only recovered one partition. but the other where the most important stuffs are, it says it couldn't read some of the sectors. Someone asked me to downloaded Aacronis Disk Director. I installed acronis disk director and it saw the disk, the capacity, the free space as well as the used space. But it couldn't access the content of the disk. windows sees it alright but when i try to access the files, it says the drive is not formatted so i should format it. I tried scandisk a lot of times, in dos. it saw a lot of bad sectors it couldnt read, about 15 of them. is it that seriouse? i know that once there are bad sectors i may not be able to access some files but what about the places without the bad sectors. cant i access the files on the sectors that are not bad. a friend says i should put it in a freezer overnight but he didnt tell me how to do it. is it ok to try that? I need some help here. I gotta get these pictures from the hard drive. they are very important to me. or can anyone give me any software that i can use to retrieve ma files back? I need your help urgently. thanks.  thank you. please help.

Not Ranked
Posts 65
Points 800

Well your entering iffy waters, you may or may not be able to get the data back using a normal solution. I've had some luck using some of the rtt products (rlinux and rstudio). You could try rstudio and see if it finds anything. The question about the damaged partition is how many of the file tables and super blocks are intact. Now the saving grace with the rtt product line is that it can do a "deep" analysis where itll scrutinize the data blocks and try to guess as to what kind of datafile exisits there, but it takes a long time when your running it (an even longer time if your dealing with a large harddrive -- say 500gig or bigger). But I'd say give that a whirl and see what happens.

It's not custom unless your the only one who can boot it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

When you enter the realm of disc failure, there comes a point when you may just have to get it professionally recovered.  Try some different software first, but don't get your hopes up.  What you recover by these means may just be corrupt in the end.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS