Amazon MP3 Joins iTunes with Variable Pricing

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,210,025
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 7 2009 11:55 PM

It's not exactly the type of price match people think of when they hear the words "price match," and it sure wasn't something we had expected so soon, but it's here. Amazon MP3 has price-matched iTunes, so to speak.  On the same day that Apple rolled out variable, tiered pricing on iTunes, Amazon MP3 did the same.

Take a look at the Best Sellers list, for example. You'll see MP3s priced at $0.79, $0.89, $0.99, $1.29. You can see some of the page above .

While you may have hoped Amazon MP3 would have maintained its pricing structure at $0.99 for everything, Amazon was probably pressured by the labels, who have more bargaining power now that iTunes has caved.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Why. I was just thinking with Itunes DRM free this was the only thing Amazon had.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Wed, Apr 8 2009 12:45 PM

No bob, they dont force you to use itunes to get music, that is what Amazon has. Itunes is crap. With amazon, you can use their download manager, or download stuff one at a time and use your own download manager.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Drago:

No bob, they dont force you to use itunes to get music, that is what Amazon has. Itunes is crap. With amazon, you can use their download manager, or download stuff one at a time and use your own download manager.

Yeah, but with all DRM free music you are not forced into Itunes anymore. I hate I tunes too, but a lot of regular people don't know any better and it is easier to navigate than WMP. I use Amarok in linux and I usually just use Pandora if I am in windows and want music. I have never used Amazons store. I still buy CDs at the store and rip them. I rip them all in lossless even though I have tin ears and can't tell the difference. I used to not be able to see the difference in cheap LCDs and now I can, so I have this fear of having low bitrate music and one day being able to tell the difference and having to rerip everything. Yeah I know I'm a loony bin.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS