MIT Researchers Develop Batteries with Viruses

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,203
Points 1,186,625
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Apr 4 2009 7:12 PM

Scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology may have created the ultimate green battery technology: They’ve engineered a virus that could potentially form a battery that would outlast and out power those available today.

The batteries could be used to power small electronic devices such as cell phones and MP3 players. In the future, they could also be used to power automobiles. The M13 virus used to create the batteries infects only bacteria, so it is harmless to humans.

The recent discovery builds upon research that was performed three years ago when an MIT team genetically engineered viruses that could build an anode by coating themselves with cobalt oxide and gold and self-assembling to form a nanowire. Traditional batteries have two anodes, a positive terminal (often made of cobalt oxide) and a negative terminal (often comprised of graphite).

Researchers at MIT took this research and focused on building a powerful cathode that could pair up with the anode. This was no easy task, but eventually the scientists were able to engineer the viruses to first coat themselves with iron phosphate and then attach to carbon nanotubes to create a network of highly conductive material. Electrons can travel along the carbon nanotubes to the iron phosphate networks very easy, thereby transferring energy in a very short amount of time.

Using these developments, the researchers created coin-sized batteries as seen in the photo above. According to lab tests, the batteries can be charged and discharged at least 100 times without losing any capacity. Although that’s fewer charge cycles than today’s lithium-ion batteries, materials scientist Angela Belcher said the expectation is that the batteries "will be able to go much longer."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 5 2009 3:46 PM

A whole new take on "cold" fusion.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,596
Points 54,965
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Apr 5 2009 3:53 PM

badump-bump... :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 5 2009 5:14 PM

Hahah.. I thought it was missing something!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

very very very very very interesting

if i would have could research at that level, i wold invest almost all my free time!:((

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Dave_HH:

badump-bump... :)

http://instantrimshot.com/

I see a lot of battery research, but never new batteries.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635

Every year we hear about something new that going to replace or improve batteries. But the end result is more batteries or not the improvement we expected.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS