AT&T Backtracks on TOS Changes, Apologizes

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,386
Points 1,192,320
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Apr 4 2009 12:53 AM
AT&T Changes TOS to Limit Mobile VideoAT&T Wireless has backtracked on changes to its Terms of Service (TOS), which were modified earlier in the week in such a way as to pretty much gimp anything from SlingPlayer to Skype, and more.

As noted by the Public Knowledge Policy Blog, the changes (in bold) were:
This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services, customer initiated redirection of television or other video or audio signals via any technology from a fixed location to a mobile device, web broadcasting, and/or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices is prohibited.
However, on Friday AT&T backtracked, issuing the following statement:
“The language added on March 30 to AT&T’s wireless data service Terms and Conditions was done in error. It was brought to our attention and we have since removed it. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.”
It's nice to see the furor the report on the changes started has resulted in AT&T removing the new TOS text. What's unsettling, however, is the fact is that if they inserted that text, even if done erroneously, it means they are most likely considering the change in the future.

So, while you bask in the fact that public outcry got that change reversed, how does that last thought grab you?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,628
Points 55,220
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Apr 4 2009 12:56 AM

Update:  12:51AM US EST:  This post on Engadget seems to indicate that AT&T Wireless has since retracted these new terms but in fact, if you look at the live site right here (scroll down to the Prohibited and Permissible Uses section) , that is indeed NOT the case.  We're waiting to see if this verbiage really is taken down because as of right now, it doesn't appear to be an "error".

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Doesn't matter. I downloaded sid meier's pirates, a few podcasts, and just browsed the web and hit my limit in the 3/4 of a month that I got my 3G card. I'd hate to see the overage charges for someone that used bittorrent.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 5 2009 6:23 PM

I'm concerned about the not-bolded sections:

>> "but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services"

So, AT&T's license doesn't allow you download any movies - even legal Creative Commons material - so long as you do it via P2P? That can't be legal for them to do, as it blocks companies like Jamendo from distributing.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,628
Points 55,220
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Apr 5 2009 9:26 PM

I think this entire section of their TOS is a complete bag of doo-doo.  It's a complete CYA move on their part, much of which is rather unenforceable, unless they decide to single you out for whatever reason.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I think I need to read into theres and Verzions TOS a little. I have had some intrest in Verizons 3G cards at work since I got mine. I am rather unhappy with it, but IDK if a lighter user would be hurt by the limits.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 6 2009 8:04 AM

http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/1997-01-14/

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS