Mark Cuban Fined $25K For Twitter NBA Comments

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,160
Points 1,185,425
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 30 2009 7:34 AM
You know, Mark Cuban has an excellent point: Twitter may not have a business model just yet, but it can no longer say that no one's making money from it. Over the weekend, the eccentric and outspoken Dallas Mavericks owners (not to mention a media mogul in his free time) decided to lash out once more against NBA referees. Not that lashing out is anything new for Cuban, as he's been fined around $1.5 million in total and suspended from three games -- and that was from his 14 previous fines!

Shortly after a 103-101 defeat by the Denver Nuggets, Mark fired up Twitter, logged on and penned the following: "How do they not call a tech on JR Smith for coming off the bench to taunt our player on the ground ?" So far as we can tell, it currently stands as the most expensive Tweet in history at just over $1136 per word. You see, the National Basketball Association slapped Cuban with a staggering $25,000 fine for his digital comments, proving that referee bashing won't be tolerated in any public fashion, even over Twitter.

As you can see below, Mark doesn't seem to take issue with being fined, and as his past illustrates, he firmly believes in paying the price for free speech. Still, $25,000 for a single Tweet? Should've made your profile private beforehand, Mark.

• | Post Points: 125
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, Mar 30 2009 8:20 AM

I can see them fining him if he got in a ref's face during the game. But fining him for posting a hypothetical to outside media? That sounds like a violation of his right to free speech.

Too bad they didn't fine someone who would put up a fight over the 25k.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Mon, Mar 30 2009 1:14 PM

this is stupid, i hope Cuban takes this all the way to the supreme court, cause what your personal opinion is is just that. So what if you tell it on a public forum, yell it on the radio, scream it on the TV. It is an opinion, it clearly was and the NBA is full of themselves for infringing on the rights of free speech. Seriously if Cuban was in the refs face cussing him out like in his other 14 fines then that would be something to fine him for, instead he posts a simple message and gets fined for it. Hell if that is the case, than any sports reported that said the exact same thing should be fined to. Its getting to the point where if you say something that isnt agreeable by the organization you are reporting on, you get in trouble. That isnt free speech, its communism. The first amendment gives us the UNALIENABLE RIGHT to speak and say our minds WITHOUT FEAR OF REPRODUCTIONS.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Mon, Mar 30 2009 1:43 PM

The thing is tho, that it's an association and if he still wants to be apart of that association he has to play by their rules. He can choose not to be a part of that association and bad mouth them all he wants and not pay a fine. Then he can express his rights all he wants... but if he wants to stay a part of the NBA he has to do what they say.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 5,500

I think this is similar to the guy who lost his job offer from Cisco because he tweeted a stupid comment about hating his potential job, while it does seem to infringe upon free speech there are repercussions for your actions.

This is my Sig. There are many like it but this one is mine.

OIIIIIIIIO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

I think what happen at work sould stay at work and what happens at home sould stay at home... after all people have been b*tching about there jobs since the beginning of time....

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 65
eavedrop44 replied on Tue, Jun 26 2012 12:22 AM

I've seen which had the same connector on the phone but were from different cellular companies and one could be charged via USB while the other could not, needed the special charger with the usb plug from that cellular provider. daily entrepreneur tips

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 65

If you are buying outright or already have it, we make (next to) nothing. If youre signing a contract, then we make money and we can sell the case/charger/etc close to cost. hut of tech

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35
zobimilky replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 1:37 AM

i like this blog!thank u!! adventure games for girls

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS