Disney Reportedly In Talks with Hulu

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,722
Points 1,208,940
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 27 2009 4:41 PM

The Walt Disney Company is discussing a deal with Hulu in which Disney could take an equity stake in Hulu in exchange for providing the video portal with ABC programming, according to multiple sources speaking with paidContent. The media giant would provide at least ABC’s TV programming such as Lost and other popular shows. It’s possible the deal could also involve the Disney Channel, ESPN content, and other networks that aren’t heavily dependent on cable and satellite TV.

At this point, it’s uncertain how close a deal might be, though insiders hint that talks are serious. Many have wondered if equity in Hulu will be enough for Disney to sign on or if Disney will insist that NBC Universal and News Corp. extend their commitments to Hulu beyond the remaining year. It’s also possible Disney could ask for a non-exclusive deal to keep rights to co-distribute its content.

It is believed Disney revived its interest in Hulu after determining that Hulu could become much bigger than the company’s individual sites and after Hulu’s web video portal surged in popularity after its Super Bowl ad.

Hulu is currently the fourth-largest video page in the U.S., well ahead of Disney’s own portals. If this deal reaches completion, Hulu would once again have content from three of the four largest TV networks after CBS’ withdrawal last month. The Disney deal would also give Hulu even more clout over pay-per-download services from iTunes and Amazon. However, it’s worth remembering that Steve Jobs is a member of Disney’s board of directors and its single largest shareholder, which could put an interesting spin on things.

If the deal comes through, we’ll be one step closer to a one-stop shop for watching ad-supported TV online. That’s something we can all get excited about.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Mar 27 2009 9:41 PM

Disney *had* to talk to them. It's the only way to make sure that their evil plans to take over the world do not conflict.

Hulu's been very forthcoming with the details of their plot, but so far we only know the first step of Disney's plan: Make the Jonas Brothers popular.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,386
Points 22,475
Freeman replied on Sat, Mar 28 2009 2:19 AM

Don't forget the promise/HYPNOSIS rings.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Sat, Mar 28 2009 4:56 PM

*ha-ho* shut up you little B@$%!$% *ha-ho*

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Awesome I can watch lost on my big screen with BoxeeAngry

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Mon, Mar 30 2009 1:03 AM

Hopefully the premiums for various networks will not be TOO high in that the ads would be extremely blown up or tediously long -- this is the only thing I would worry about...more bills owed to networks = more ads being displayed right?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

ice91785:

Hopefully the premiums for various networks will not be TOO high in that the ads would be extremely blown up or tediously long -- this is the only thing I would worry about...more bills owed to networks = more ads being displayed right?

Really good point. Right now the ads dont bother me very much at all. I hope it says that way.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS