Intel GPA Tools Enhance Integrated Graphics

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,356
Points 1,191,525
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 23 2009 1:19 PM

If you thought the Game Developers Conference was restricted to the likes of Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, consider this. The show hasn't even kicked off good, and we're already looking at two hugely important releases from the likes of ARM and Intel. The latter company has just proudly announced the release of its Graphics Performance Analyzers (GPA), a suite of software tools created in support of the Visual Adrenaline developer program.

GPA will be offered up worldwide for PC game developers to analyze and optimize game performance on Intel Integrated Graphics, which is badly needed given the general poor performance of its chipsets. According to Intel, the tools will provide "in-depth application analysis and customization so developers can pinpoint performance bottlenecks and optimize games for Intel-based desktop PCs and laptops that use Intel's chipsets."

Put as simply as possible, GPA consists of three primary components:
  • System Analyzer: delivers high-level views of overall software performance
  • Frame Analyzer: offers in-depth frame-by-frame performance analysis
  • Software Development Kit (SDK): enables developers to customize the suite according to their needs; developers have the choice to run the tools locally or remotely through
    a network connection.

According to Elliot Garbus, vice president and general manager of Intel's Visual Computing Software Division: "Game developers need simple, yet powerful tools which enable them to create games that look real, act real and feel real. The Intel Graphics Performance Analyzers suite is the only software development toolkit that provides a holistic view of system performance for games running on Intel Integrated Graphics. Solving performance bottlenecks with GPA ensures developers are delivering the best gaming experience."

GPA offers the ability to analyze graphics performance on current Intel integrated graphics chipsets and processors, and yes, that includes Core i7; in the future, the company is planning to add support to future Intel graphics and many-core related products. As for cost? It's available free of charge to Visual Adrenaline members and can be purchased by non-members for $299 through the Intel Business Exchange.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

Intel are probably trying to create a 'Hype' about Integrated solutions as their next 32nm CPUS will feature onboard graphics. I have onboard graphics right now and I'm not happy with it. Who IS looking forward to the 32nm CPUs just because of Intels 'fast' integrated solutions?

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 508
Points 7,860
peti1212 replied on Tue, Mar 24 2009 9:49 AM

Well it all depends. If you have the latest and best integrated graphics, that is pretty decent for old games, but if you have one that is like 2-3 years old, then that just frustrates you. I to be honest with you, I am looking forward to that 32nm CPU. I want to see how it will perform and if it is something big and good then I'll be surprised.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

I'm not sold on the concept.  You can only optimize a game so much, then its all hardware related.  I haven't seen one decent performing onboard chip in all the years I've been on these forums.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS