Robotic Fish Being Built to Detect Pollution

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,739
Points 1,209,625
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Mar 22 2009 10:52 PM
A team of U.K. researchers have developed robotic fish that they plan to use to detect pollution. The researches plan a trial of five robotic fish in the northern Spanish port of Gijon. If successful, they hope to use the fish in waterways worldwide.

Unlike earlier models, which had to be remotely-controlled, these new carp-shaped robots are autonomous. They cost $29,000 each, and are equipped with sensors to detect potentially hazardous pollutants. Data will be transmitted back to the shore using wi-fi.

Before anyone says anything, yes, standard wi-fi such as you might find in a home or business, has a limited range. But the actual transmission of data will take place via wi-fi at the charging hub, which the fish will return to when their batteries are low.

Batteries need recharging approximately every eight hours.

Rory Doyle, senior research scientist at engineering company BMT Group, which developed the robot fish with researchers at Essex University, said:
"While using shoals of robotic fish for pollution detection in harbours might appear like something straight out of science fiction, there are very practical reasons for choosing this form.

"In using robotic fish we are building on a design created by hundreds of millions of years' worth of evolution which is incredibly energy efficient. This efficiency is something we need to ensure that our pollution detection sensors can navigate in the underwater environment for hours on end.

"We will produce a system that allows the fish to search underwater, meaning that we will be able to analyse not only chemicals on the surface of the water (e.g. oil) but also those that are dissolved in the water."
Scientists hope to put the fish "to sea" by the end of 2010. The five fish are being built by Professor Huosheng Hu and his robotics team at the School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering, University of Essex. Professor Hu said:
"I am incredibly excited about this project. We are designing these fish very carefully to ensure that they will be able to detect changes in environmental conditions in the port and pick up on early signs of pollution spreading, for example by locating a small leak in a vessel.

"The hope is that this will prevent potentially hazardous discharges at sea, as the leak would undoubtedly get worse over time if not located."
Watch a short video that shows the motion of the fish.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Mon, Mar 23 2009 3:27 PM

Will there be any fines if someone accidentally nets one? Also, what if a bigger first/bird tried to eat it? Haha, I think its a really cool idea actually. One more thing to chalk up to the "green" era we're in

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Mon, Mar 23 2009 3:51 PM

Is that video of a 3D rendering? It doesn't look real. I want one for the fish tank I don't have :-)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

Why use one of those? If the fish are dying you know something is wrong. Big Smile

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Tue, Mar 24 2009 1:09 PM

Yeah what happens if something that eats trout or any fish of that size encounters it? Then we get to detect pollution in the belly of the eater, that seems counter productive doesn't it??? They should build some kind of sonar transmitter that won't of course effect the wi-fi data transmission!

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS