Netflix to Stream to Wii, PS3?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,339
Points 1,191,155
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Mar 21 2009 1:37 PM

It was over a year ago that reports emerged of Netflix surveying users about possible streaming to the Xbox 360 (which eventually came to fruition) and the PS3. New reports have arisen about Netflix asking the same questions, this time about the PS3 and the Nintendo Wii.

In email surveys sent to customers, reports indicate that both the Nintendo Wii and the PS3 would require a "Netflix Instant Streaming Disc."
A Netflix Instant Streaming Disc (one-time fee of $9.99). This disc must be put into your PS3 (or Wii) whenever you want to instantly watch movies and TV episodes from Netflix over the Internet
We can perhaps understand, with the rather limited storage on the Nintendo Wii compared to the other consoles the possible reason for a Streaming Disc, but one would think the PS3 could support this functionality with a firmware upgrade.

And at $9.99, you'd expect the disc to be copy-protected as well, which would tend to mean you'd better make sure you don't scratch the disc.

Of course, this is a survey. It doesn't mean the functionality will appear soon, if ever. Readers, would you want this on your console, and how do you feel about the $9.99 fee?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Sat, Mar 21 2009 2:14 PM

I feel that $9.99 is B.S. -- as the article states, what if this disc gets scratched? Moreover...isn't the point of streaming media so that you don't have to WORRY ABOUT DISCS? ...just saying...

I am fine with using my xbox and TiVo for streaming thanks..

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,405
Jeremy replied on Sat, Mar 21 2009 10:26 PM

If they're willing to send DVDs through the mail, why can't they mail me a disc? I like the idea of streaming to my PS3 (don't have any other console), but agree that the $9.99 fee for the disc is bogus.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Mar 22 2009 1:45 PM

This 'disc' nonsense sounds made up. The PS3 has supported downloadable programs forever (PixelJunk Monsters rules!): They could make whatever program is on the disc a download instead.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I am slightly interested in this.  I have blockbuster right now but if they go under a movie service would be nice.  The $10 bucks might suck but will wait for complete details before I get up in arms at that.  Hopefully they will have HD options so I can take advantage of my ps3 and Hdtv

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS