Consumers Relying on In-Car Navigation More

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,831
Points 1,168,425
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 20 2009 9:35 AM

Nuance Communications, Inc., a leading provider of speech solutions, today announced findings that show consumers will take advantage of automobile voice recognition capabilities if they’re built in. In fact, eight out of nine respondents who own speech-enabled in-car systems and navigation devices regularly use the voice recognition capabilities. The Automotive Voice Interface User Survey conducted by Maix Research and Consulting also revealed a high degree of satisfaction among 73 percent of users that will lead them to recommend the technology to friends and family, as well as plan to repurchase automobiles with speech-enabled functions in the future.

The study surveyed 473 auto owners with voice recognition systems and focused on the usability of current in-car voice recognition systems deployed in the market, including many popular systems such as the Ford SYNC ™
powered by Nuance speech technology. The research found that the majority of respondents favored voice-enabled systems for their ease of use and ability to reduce the driver distractions often posed by manual input systems. The study also discovered that:

• Phone calls and navigation entry top voice-enabled functions: Among respondents who regularly use voice recognition systems, 83 percent always or frequently place calls and respectively 80 percent accept phone calls with voice commands. 76 percent regularly enter an address by voice.
  • Voice is the preferred interface versus manual in various driving scenarios: The majority of the respondents (about 75 percent) stated that they favor a speech-enabled interface while driving. In fact, the reliance on speech-enabled functions increased in particular situations. 50 percent of users like to use voice input when other passengers are in the car, with an 18 percent increase in usage (68 percent) when they are alone. 58 percent of users prefer voice input when driving in familiar areas, but that number jumps to 69 percent in unknown areas. 63 percent of users cited they prefer voice input in quiet or normal traffic, but the percentage jumps to 71 percent in stressful traffic situations.
  • Age plays a role in voice recognition reliance: Use of voice-enabled in-car systems was generally higher among younger drivers (age 18 – 29) drivers surveyed, however older drivers (ages 40 and over) were more apt to use voice recognition when driving in unknown areas or stressful traffic situations as noted above.
  • Users of voice-enabled systems want additional “connected” capabilities: The study found that those using voice recognition systems desire additional “connected” voice-enabled services. 43 percent advised that they would like up-to-date traffic information by voice, with 40 percent wanting weather information and 37 percent local business search.
  • More natural language dialogue increases user acceptance: As part of the survey, users were asked to cite improvements that would increase their overall use of voice recognition systems. Among the responses was a desire to spend less time conversing and confirming with the systems, leading to easier and increased usage.

“The results of this study complement additional market data that more and more drivers are becoming not only familiar, but reliant on voice-enabled in-car systems and navigation devices,” said Arnd Weil, general manager and vice president, automotive solutions, Nuance Mobile. “Voice recognition technology has tremendous benefits when applied to in-car infotainment systems and navigation devices, particularly in reducing driver distractions and in some cases stress as demonstrated in this study. And the technology is only improving to become even more intuitive and natural, as Nuance is dedicated to providing consumers with solutions that enable a comfortable dialogue with their cars.”

This Maix Research study focused on usability complements the findings from Nuance’s 2008 In-Car Distraction Study conducted by the University of Braunschweig in Germany, which found in-car voice recognition systems significantly reduce driver distractions as compared to manual input of navigation, telematics and entertainment systems. The analysis of drivers’ eye movements revealed that voice commands help drivers keep their eyes on the road, reducing driver distraction to almost zero for music selection and less than 10 percent for phone dialing and destination entry. On average, speech helps keep drivers eyes on the road 200 percent to 300 percent better than manual input.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Fri, Mar 20 2009 12:12 PM

News:
Nuance Communications, Inc., a leading provider of speech solutions, today announced findings that show consumers will take advantage of automobile voice recognition capabilities if they’re built in

haha, o'rly? Good to know...

I use my phone navigation system when going to unfamiliar places, but as far as talking and such (on the phone while driving) I don't really do a ton of it anyway -- It really drives me nuts when ppl do. IMO even if you have a handsfree headset or something related built into your car, or voice recognition you STILL have to concentrate on the conversation/task at hand. This means < 100% concentration on your driving...even if its 99% I feel that is more dangerous than it has to be.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Fri, Mar 20 2009 5:47 PM

I totally agree, having come to the conclusion after nearly being killed by multiple people with cell handsets glued to their heads.

I would never use one of these.  Why?  Because I *know* I'm already a crappy driver, and I don't hate YOU, YOUR CHILDREN, and LIFEFORMS IN GENERAL.

I would rather we skip the two-way conversation part of our cars' evolution and jump right on to the "It drives me where I tell it to" portion of the program.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

Voice Navigation sounds good, but it'll be impossible to fully perfect it against errors.

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Sat, Mar 21 2009 12:14 AM

They forgot to mention how alertly you drive whilst you yell at it "play Aerosmith!" to which ur car responds "playing artist Abba" to which you respond "NO! play Aerosmith!" to which ur car responds "playing artist Aqua" to which you respond "NO!! Play ....oh @#%@ a brick wall!!" /conversation

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Mar 21 2009 12:42 AM

rofl!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS