NVIDIA Graphics Chip Used In Audi's In-Car MMI

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,935
Points 1,118,560
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jan 30 2009 3:46 PM
We're beginning to wonder if there's a sector NVIDIA isn't willing to dabble in, and judging by its latest collaboration with automaker Audi, the answer is looking more and more to be "nope." Announced this week, the newly revamped MMI in-car command center is set to make future Audi automobiles a real technology-savvy bunch.

Aside from blessing the new MMI with a 7-inch LED-backlit LCD panel (800 x 480 pixels), it also implemented a new joystick control scheme, 3D / 2D maps, support for vocal input and multimedia capabilities to keep the kids from wailing. In order to handle its duties, Audi included a pair of processors -- an 800MHz chip and a 500MHz digital signal processor -- which enable the navigation, voice input, telephone and audio functions to operate together harmoniously and sans slowdown.

One of the standout features is the inclusion of a 3D graphics processor from NVIDIA, which enables the MMI to "access the third dimension." Additionally, the chip has enabled yet another "first," as the MMI provides a unique "genuine 3D map display," or what's better known as a "digital topographical model." According to Audi: "With this processor, the screen display sets new standards with its attractive display layout, high resolution, and presentation quality, smooth animation and cross fading." We haven't yet heard how it'll withstand the pressures of Crysis, but those looking to give it a crack can find it on US soil within the all-new Q5.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 7:36 PM

Sweet! Dave and Marco should totally give away an Audi for the next sweepstakes. :p

It does look extreeeeemely nice.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 7:43 PM

Lol... Imagine what kind of overclock you could get from a car radiator.

Hmmmm... that gives me an idea for a mod.... :p

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

nice. yea and you thought the activity on the forums skyrocketed with the skulltrail giveaway could you imagine!

For as much as those cars cost though I expect to see that chip overclocked and on watercoolingBig Smile

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,485
Points 53,995
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 9:11 PM

3vi1:

Sweet! Dave and Marco should totally give away an Audi for the next sweepstakes. :p

It does look extreeeeemely nice.

Yeeeeeeahhhhh baby!  Actually, screw the Audi, I heard NVIDIA's buffing out a Porsche 911 Turbo with 3D McLovin' next!  Let's just give this away instead, cool?  Cool

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• Filed under:
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
nelsoncp21 replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 10:37 PM

screw the car give me the girl! are you guys raffling off her?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Mon, Feb 2 2009 8:47 PM

nelsoncp21:

screw the car give me the girl! are you guys raffling off her?

Shhhhh.... ixnay on the impingpay!

lol!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
ema replied on Tue, Jul 14 2009 10:03 PM

That's great. I mean it just might work. the combination seems just fine. I hope it will really do good for the car.:)

I just love audi parts as much as I love porsche parts.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS