Google Kills Bambi

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,323
Points 1,190,730
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jan 29 2009 11:58 PM
Google sends cars around to take pictures of streets for the Street View service, and sometimes they take pictures that we would prefer not to see, but usually the car itself is not involved.In this case, sadly, the car was involved in an accident, and the accident involved a deer.

Surprisingly, the Street View car continued to take pictures, and unfortunately, Google posted those pictures to the Web.

The images were taken on Five Points Road in Rush, New York.

It took a while; who knows how long those images were there, but once the news got out about them, Google received several complaints and removed the images. As Google said:
Gathering the imagery for Street View requires quite a bit of driving; as such, we take safety very seriously. Unfortunately, accidents do happen -- as some people have noticed, one of our Street View cars hit a deer while driving on a rural road in upstate New York. Due to several user requests using the "Report a concern" tool, these images are no longer available in Street View.

The driver was understandably upset, and promptly stopped to alert the local police and the Street View team at Google. The deer was able to move and had left the area by the time the police arrived. The police explained to our driver that, sadly, this was not an uncommon occurrence in the region -- the New York State Department of Transportation estimates that 60,000-70,000 deer collisions happen per year in New York alone -- and no police report needed to be filed.
OK, the post says that the driver alerted the Street View team at Google. And yet, the images were still posted to the Web?

At any rate, the rest of the post takes time out to lecture, er, advise us on safe driving. At least, according to their post, the deer got up and walked away. We're assuming they were telling the truth, but that deer doesn't look too healthy above.

Let's hope it wasn't badly injured.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, Jan 30 2009 8:01 AM

I've actually seen deer get hit by cars, get up, then run away.

This is the basis of my new scientific paper: "Deer Know How to Make PCP."

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

My stepmom lives in NY and she hit a deer and stopped. The deer  proceeded to whack the car with his antlers before running off into the woods.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,405
Jeremy replied on Fri, Jan 30 2009 11:12 AM

Deer often get up and run away after being struck by a vehicle, actually. Unfortunately, internal bleeding typically claims them a short time later. There's little chance "Bambi" survived more than a few hours afte being hit, sorry to say.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 290
ForumsAdministrator
Iria replied on Fri, Jan 30 2009 1:31 PM

Yeah, that's what I figured, too, Jeremy.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

[:'(]

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

atleast their in no picture of him loading the deer into the car! I actually know someone who is a hunter and hadn't gotten a deer this year. Him and his wife were driving and came across a deer on the side of the road that had just been hit. He stopped the car and according to his wife dragged it off into the woods. After a couple of minutes of his wife wondering where he was, she saw him return with the deers head. I laughed histerically when she told us the story. yep he took it home but I haven't seen it mounted on his wall yet cause I can't wait to give him a hard time.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 508
Points 7,860
peti1212 replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 12:45 AM

bob_on_the_cob:

My stepmom lives in NY and she hit a deer and stopped. The deer  proceeded to whack the car with his antlers before running off into the woods.

Sorry bob, but I kind of found this amusing. But it's sad that so many animels get killed every year because of accidents like this.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

peti1212:

bob_on_the_cob:

Sorry bob, but I kind of found this amusing. But it's sad that so many animels get killed every year because of accidents like this.

So did I. She had to get a new right side door becuase the deer hit it so hard. In the long run I guess its no worse a death than hunters give them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 8:10 PM

A friend of my uncle's once hit a deer on his way in to work at a paper mill in the middle of the night.

It was a huge deer, so he cut its throat with his knife and threw it in the back of the truck. When he got to work, he made an arrangement with another guy getting off his shift that if he would take it home and butcher it that they would split it 50/50.

Well, the guy goes out to the truck, throws off the tarp, and the buck jumps up and starts making this "UUUHHHHEEEE UHHHHEEEEEE!!!" sound because his throat is only partially cut.

Long story short, there is a hilarious security camera video of a surprised guy in hand to hand combat with a deer.

And that's not even the funniest story I know about people fighting with animals that regained consciousness after being previously thought dead. Remind me to tell you about the bobcat in the suitcase.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Little scared to here the bobcat story. . .

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
nelsoncp21 replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 10:35 PM

oh god I have to hear that one

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 11:23 PM

Okay... My grandfather had three brothers, and they were poor as dirt. They raised chickens to get by, and where we're from (nowhere, Louisiana) it's was natural to have a wolf or other predator show up. We even had the rare black panther or two (our school mascot, because of their unexpected presence).

When my grandfather was a child, he and his older brothers caught a bobcat in their traps. Being so poor as to not even have firearms, they killed the thing with sticks and stones.

Then, one of his brothers had a hilarious idea: "Let's take our mom's old suitcases and put this thing by the side of the road and see what happens."

They did. And, as luck would have it... a carload of people came by. Seeing the suitcase, they screeched the car to a halt, grabbed the case, and sped down the road.

About 15 seconds later, the car came to an abrupt halt as people bailed out of it from every angle. It turns out the bobcat had only been rendered unconscious, and was extremely pissed off when they opened the suitcase.

The sheriff showed up, but the boys swore they knew nothing of it. Their father, a stern man who recognized the suitcase, threatened them with punishments straight from a pirate captain. Then he walked off, his shoulders gently heaving up and down as he tried to stop them from seeing his hilarity.

I blame my grandfather for my sense of humor.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

beautiful.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

3vi1, your stories are: Stick out tongue + Sad = Big Smile. The perfect combination!

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS