Electric Car Network Motors To Denmark

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,851
Points 1,171,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jan 27 2009 12:00 PM
It seems that we Americans could learn a thing or two from Denmark. Not only are Danish citizens amongst the happiest in the world, but they're also amongst the most energy conscience. In a landmark deal announced today in Copenhagen, Better Place -- the same outfit responsible for planning an EV network in Hawaii -- has teamed with DONG Energy in order to begin deploying an electric car charging network in Denmark.

The €103 million ($135.7 million) deal outlines obligations for DONG Energy to "assist in the Better Place Denmark network rollout as well as be the preferred supplier of renewable energy to power the network." The goal may be lofty, but the two are hoping to enable "widespread adoption of mass-market vehicles by 2011." According to Anders Eldrup, CEO and President of DONG Energy: "Our goal in investing in Better Place Denmark is to help reduce CO2 emissions and increase the consumption of sustainable energy by capturing and leveraging wind power more efficiently."

As it stands, Denmark is already a relatively green nation. Even with access to oil reserves in the North Sea, it chooses to generate around 20 percent of its electric power from wind-generating utilities, and 7 percent of the total wind power created in the country is exported because of a lack of satisfactory storage options. Taking things one step further, the Danish government applies zero tax for zero emission vehicles while applying up to a 180 percent tax on petrol-based vehicles.

If you're curious as to where more of these tax-free cars will come from, the duo has also made clear that the
Renault-Nissan Alliance will "begin to commercialize a complete range of EVs especially adapted to Danish customer requirements."
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 210
Points 2,845
shanewu replied on Wed, Jan 28 2009 5:51 PM

DONG Energy...nice name. ;)

Looks like good progress.

"Everyone always wants new things. Everybody likes new inventions, new technology. People will never be replaced by machines. In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy." - Michael Scott (The Office)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

I'm sorry, but I've never heard of a zero tax on car policy, and I'm a danish citizen. In fact I find this rather hard to believe, as there's generally tax on everything here.

Also the "up to 180% tax on cars" is wrong. It's up to 300%

Btw I'm not happy >:-(

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

I'm not sure as I'm in NZ, so I can't say if the taxes are the right or wrong percentages.

Welcome to HH T. Arcane! I hope you'll enjoy your stay here and stick around! Smile

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Dreaming of electric car? It is really an innovation dating years ago but never made any progress during its introduction. All car manufacturers pursue on developing cars that highly consumes gas, good interior, and physical attributes that makes the car eye-catching. After years of realization the electric car is finally fully understand. The efficiency of this car is now highlighted with the Prius and the Nissan leaf.  Nissan and Yoyota does not focus on faulty Ignition Switch alone, both have emerge to compete on making the road cleaner with cars that are environment friendly.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS