Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,085
Points 1,183,235
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jan 22 2009 10:36 AM
We're launching a brand new Cameras / Gadgets channel on HotHardware today, and with it we have a full evaluation of the Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera. Whether you’re an amateur photographer or someone who’s more serious about photography, a D-SLR can provide a lot of benefits over a simple point and shoot camera. With a D-SLR, you’ll get faster shooting speeds, better optics (and therefore a better quality picture), the ability to change lenses for ultimate flexibility, complete control over image exposure, sharpness, other image quality settings and a lot more.

Like many products, there are entry-level D-SLRs, professional-grade D-SLRs, and plenty of models in between. Canon’s 50D blurs the line between amateur and professional D-SLR cameras. This camera strikes a good balance with its price and feature set. With this camera, you’ll get a lot of features you wouldn’t find on entry-level models, but you won’t pay professional-grade prices, either. Users who are just making the jump to a D-SLR, for example will appreciate the 50D’s Live View mode, which lets you use the D-SLR’s LCD to frame an image, similar to the way you would frame an image using a point and shoot camera. For more advanced shooters, the 50D also has full manual controls to give you ultimate control over your photographs. Come on by the site and check it out...

Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Nice camera, It puts my D50 to shame

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,563
Points 54,725
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Jan 22 2009 9:25 PM

What do you guys think? Our first digicam review! Good stuff or what?

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

I liked it, it would have been nice to compair it to its competitor. But I figure with more reviews it will come in time... This is where I go for reviews on DSLR's for a heads up. I dont know if you guys have seen the site.

http://www.dpreview.com/

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Sun, Jan 25 2009 1:31 PM

great review! im actually wanting to buy a dslr, however the cost of the canon is a bit too much :-(. good review too, nice comparision of the iso's. my one suggestion is, perhaps review some cheaper stuff? that camera is pretty expensive 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
radeonboy replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 1:02 AM

Don't want to be mean but I guess its best to criticize now than later since you're just starting out.  The review was far too short and was really bad. 

First off I felt I could have learned more by going to Canon's own website and checking out the features and specs...You should extrapolate on the features, ergonomics, how long the battery life was, etc.

Secondly you skipped from an overview of the body to the end with sample images.  How is that even possible?  You gave no insight regarding how the camera operates, how you felt the AF system worked (the picture of one of your son is not even focused properly -- was the AF system fooled?), does it have image stabilzation, the menu layout, in-camera processing, key shooting features and there were no pictures that showcased the different image optimization straight from the camera nor any ISO noise results.

Like the previous poster said check out Dpreview.com and design a method and process.

Even these reviews from another computer site was informative for the beginner/intermediate person.  You actually were given great information and real images showcasing what the camera could do...

http://www.modsynergy.com/review178.html

You'll get there though!  Keep on trying to get better.

Edit: You actually did give ISO results but they were hard to differentiate.  Are these 100% crops?  They don't look like 100% crops to really see the differences...ISO 12800 I know doesn't look that good.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
johnpoll replied on Tue, Mar 24 2009 7:25 AM

Hi,

I have also canon EOS 40D digital SLR Camera. But i like Canon EOS 50D.The Canon EOS 40d, and the 50d both facilitate live view. I'm not exactly sure how you activate the live view on the 50d.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use walmart coupons for save money

" Always keep the spark alive, as in darkness our own shadow leaves us."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,386
Points 22,475
Freeman replied on Thu, Mar 26 2009 1:31 AM

Hey Dave, your review was fairly good, though you did skip a few details in regards to things other than image quality, which, as a semi-pro sports photography, I can tell you is only a small part of the equation in buying a camera.  I own a D3, and it's not only the sickening ISO performance and magical exposure determination that make the camera.  The operation, physical arrangement of buttons and other "intangibles" that make it the best camera on the market.

IMO, if you want to emulate the best camera reviews on the web, look no further than KenRockwell.  He is THE authority on all cameras, digital and film, and his reviews are unparalled.

Check it out!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
JasonYu replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 12:04 AM

It's a nice camera. I use both EOS 5D Mark II and Nikon D700, if you are interested to see my photos please visit

http://www.junphotostudio.com/

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS