NVIDIA ION Recognized As Industry-Changing Tech

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,923
Points 1,118,095
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jan 21 2009 10:21 AM

NVIDIA Targeting the Netbook MarketNVIDIA ION Recognized As Industry-Changing Technology By LAPTOP Magazine

NVIDIA ION Platform Named “Best Enabling Technology” of 2009 Consumer Electronics Show

SANTA CLARA, CA - JANUARY 20, 2009 - CES attendees stopped in their tracks to admire breathtaking HD video running on a 50-inch display, but the real shock came when they realized that those images came from a PC the size of a paperback book. They had never seen such amazing graphics from such a tiny PC. That’s why the NVIDIA ION platform – which offers unprecedented capabilities in a palm-sized PC – attracted outsized attention at the 2009 Consumer Electronics Show. Among a flurry of media accolades, LAPTOP Magazine named the ION platform “Best Enabling Technology” at the show.

The ION platform unlocks the power of Intel’s Atom CPU by combining it with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GPU. Press and industry experts agree that the ION platform provides amazing capabilities for mini-notebooks, which today offer only basic functionality. With the ION platform, notebook and small form factor PCs deliver the same features as premium PCs, including superb HD video, photo and video editing, and support for popular PC games.

After seeing it in action at CES, The Tech Report wrote that the ION platform “has the potential to endow compact, inexpensive Atom-based systems with new levels of competency.” Hot Hardware considers ION “a home run in the making.” Legit Reviews called NVIDIA’s ION reference PC “one of the most interesting PC designs that we have seen in years,” and TechGage honored it with a “Best of CES 2009” award.

In addition to rave reviews from online media, LAPTOP Magazine recognized the GeForce 9400 GPU, the foundation of the ION platform, with a Mobile Innovation Award in its January issue.

The GeForce 9400 GPU in the ION platform is up to ten times faster than existing netbooks with integrated graphics. As a result, the ION platform offers capabilities found in premium notebook PCs, including:

• Superb full-spec 1080p high definition video playback

• Support for popular PC games such as Call of Duty 4, World of WarCraft, The Sims 2, and Spore

• Windows Vista Premium and the upcoming Windows 7

• Faster photo and video editing with Adobe Creative Suite 4

The GeForce 9400 GPU provides all of these capabilities in about one-half of the space of today’s Atom CPU-based solutions with minimal affect on battery life.

A new generation of affordable PCs built around the ION platform is expected to be released by summer of 2009. Consumers should contact their favorite PC manufacturer to inquire about the availability of notebooks, net-tops, and small form factor PCs featuring the ION platform.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Wed, Jan 21 2009 12:49 PM

You know... an enterprising cable company could do worse than to use this as the heart of a new generation of receivers. It would be easy to find programmers familiar with the architecture, and therefore easy to branch out into other possible revenue streams:

Want web browser access from your cable box? Only $5 extra!

We partnered with Netflix on-demand! Only $5 extra!

Instant messenging client built into your cable box: Only $5 extra!

Play WoW from your couch! Only $15 extra!

Press a button to retrieve a menu of all YouTube videos related to the currently playing show! Only $5 extra!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 210
Points 2,845
shanewu replied on Wed, Jan 21 2009 4:00 PM

3vi1, you made a flawed assumption when making that statement: that cable companies actually care about providing their customers with such great devices.

Cox, my provider, still uses 160GB HDDs in the damn DVRs that it issues to customers (yes, I know Cox doesn't manufacture them - Motorola and another company does - but you see my point). If Cox gave a rip or had a clue, then we'd have much bigger DVRs, especially considering the company keeps adding HD channels. I mean, come on, <20 hrs of HD recording is just not enough for most TV watchers.

I'll step off the soapbox now, though, and say that you have a good idea there, 3vi1. It seems like you could make a damn good device with one of these as the brain.

"Everyone always wants new things. Everybody likes new inventions, new technology. People will never be replaced by machines. In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy." - Michael Scott (The Office)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,341
Points 48,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Jan 21 2009 7:34 PM

Would made for a perfect media extender as well--access all of your personal media right from a NAS box or server within your house.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

I agree with Marco

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Thu, Jan 22 2009 8:12 AM

Hehe... I guess I overestimated their greed and underestimated their laziness... or maybe just the latter. :p

I know what' you're talking about with the cable boxes: I too have a couple of the Motorola's provided by Cox (now bought out by SuddenLink, in this area). Not only do they have miniscule recording space, but the menus are slow and horrible. And what's worse is that each of the boxes is a slightly different revision with two different menuing systems! I've had one of the boxes die on me twice and the other once in the last three years... even though they're in well ventilated (open) areas.

With something like ION, the menus could be fast and even customizable.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Thu, Jan 22 2009 8:23 AM

That's an excellent idea.

I just noticed something: it looks like there's no wireless built-in (which might be a good thing, since wireless is still improving and could then be upgraded separately). Any ideas about the best (fastest) wireless adapter that could be connected externally?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS