Sharing Verizon 3G

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135
bob_on_the_cob Posted: Sat, Jan 17 2009 11:26 PM

So a friend of mine has a verizion 3g usb dongle as her internet. She has a laptop that she brings with her everywere, and does not want to get home internet because she already pays for this. She has a desktop as well. Both run vista. As it stands she moves the dongle back and forth. I tried today to share her internet between them. I grabbed a extra wireless card and popped it into the desktop a set up a adhoc. I am getting local only on the desktop. My iPod touch though can connect to the internet. I have tried running a ethernet cable between the two computers with the same results. I'm at my wits end, so I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas. Thanks in advance.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,462
Points 46,930
ForumsAdministrator

This is new to me, Bob, so just a stab in the dark: try renaming your computer's workgroup name to match her computer's workgroup name.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Super Dave:

This is new to me, Bob, so just a stab in the dark: try renaming your computer's workgroup name to match her computer's workgroup name.

Both have the same name already I think. I'll double check tomorrow.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Mon, Jan 19 2009 12:37 AM

Well, for one thing both internet ins have to have seperate adresses for it to work in a network. Otherwise they cancel each other out even if it's ad hoc there running one in connection so each machine needs a seperate addy. Also if you are trying to connect both her notebook and desktop with one verizon account it won't let you. I also imagine Verizon dongle's and internet conn's themselves are proprietary as well. Now if you have a router hub or switch with a usb you could use the dongle as the in for it, then connect the 2 machines wirelessly or wired because it will share the connection that way

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 9:34 AM

Ad Hoc should of worked...

You could try this... altho it's expensive...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127226

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 9:40 AM

PS

I'm gonna try to set my Verizon 3g up with ad hoc right now... and if that doesn't work i'll try ICS over ethernet.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

acarzt:

PS

I'm gonna try to set my Verizon 3g up with ad hoc right now... and if that doesn't work i'll try ICS over ethernet.

Cool. I have messed with that thing for hours. I told her IDK what to do or how to get it running.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 11:10 AM

It took me a while but I got it working!! Here's what I did...

I wasted a lot of time trying to get the WRONG connection to work through ICS lol Then I looked up a little and saw a "dial-up" connection.

First I created my ad-hoc. I'm sure you already know how to do this. I named mine Verizon 3G and left it unsecured.

*edit* I forgot to mention for the following steps are done in the Network Connections folder. And all this was done in Windows XP. Vista should be the same as you can also access the network connections folder in it.

Next I right clicked on the Dial-up connection labeled "National Access - Broadband Access" and click properties. A VZ access message pops up and I clicked Advanced. Then a new window opens and I clicked the Advanced tab all the way on the right. On this tab you can turn on ICS.

Enable ICS and point it at the ad-hoc, or whatever connection you want to use. You can also enable the other 2 options if you'd like. Then ok out of everything and it should work.

You may have to disconnect and reconnect the ad-hoc. I didn't but I have also done a lot of other stuff trying to get the wrong connection to work. There are 2 connections for the 3g adapter listed under network connections. I was trying to get the one NOT listed under Dial-up to work.

Make sure you have the newest version of VZaccess manager installed.

I ran a speed test from both computers and both got 2Mbps down. :-)

Good luck!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Awesome. I'll try that next time I see her. Do you find VZaccess as annoying as I do?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 10:17 PM

Yes.. it's very annoying and it's very picky. If you install the 3g card before you install VZaccess, it will not work. And there is a very long fix to get it to finally work lol. I worked at circuit city a while back and Verizon was offering free installs for the 3g cards, so I had to work with them A LOT. Half the time I was fixing this same mistake customers were making. Very annoying. lol

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

acarzt:

Yes.. it's very annoying and it's very picky. If you install the 3g card before you install VZaccess, it will not work. And there is a very long fix to get it to finally work lol. I worked at circuit city a while back and Verizon was offering free installs for the 3g cards, so I had to work with them A LOT. Half the time I was fixing this same mistake customers were making. Very annoying. lol

Yuck. They also make you jump through a million hoops to download the software from the site.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Wed, Jan 28 2009 5:57 PM

bob_on_the_cob:
Yuck. They also make you jump through a million hoops to download the software from the site.

I have to install these quite a bit at best buy too... if you need updated software or if something happens to your media you can just go to VZAM.NET and throw your number in there -- minimal hoops :)

I would like to know how your connection sharing is working out for you guys -- if its a viable solution maybe I will talk to my in-home guys about use such methods for their network setups they do

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

VZAM.net cool. It would be a good solution if I could get the thing working. IDK if it is her computers or the Verizon software, but I have ran adhocs no problem dozens of times. IDK what I am doing wrong here. Would not be good for a gamer, but your average joe would find it plenty fast.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt replied on Thu, Jan 29 2009 10:09 AM

Did you try again? If so what happened this time?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt replied on Thu, Jan 29 2009 10:30 AM

ice91785:

I would like to know how your connection sharing is working out for you guys -- if its a viable solution maybe I will talk to my in-home guys about use such methods for their network setups they do

Ad Hoc connections can get very complicated and they are a PAIN because a lot of times they don't always work the way they are supposed to. And if it messes up it will confusing for a typical customer and pretty hard for them to try to figure out on their own. Likely they will be calling you guys back up to come out and make it work often. It's a cheap solution, but I wouldn't run it full time unless you have some tech know how. It would just be easier to buy a 3G router and let that take care of everything for you. Sometimes Ad Hoc works and you don't have to reconfigure it. But if you do a google search for ad  hoc you'll see all kinds of people asking for help.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

acarzt:

Did you try again? If so what happened this time?

Not yet. Most likely after work tomorrow or sometime saterday.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt replied on Thu, Jan 29 2009 11:00 AM

Ohhhh ok, I read your reply to ice and thought you tried again and it didn't work. lol I was like "Wtf, that should have definitely worked" lol

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
gw24Welsh replied on Mon, Feb 2 2009 12:31 AM

Did you try to share the broadband in the control panel? like broadband sharing?

or you sure the ipod touch is getting signal from the verizon 3g and not other sources nearby?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt replied on Tue, Feb 10 2009 10:06 AM

Any update on this?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

acarzt:

Any update on this?

Oh yes. I got it to work last weekend. I still can't get a ad hoc to work so she has to plug in a ethernet cable, but I finally got that working.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS