Have IP... dont have Internet!

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 67
Points 1,625
CoLdGlOoM Posted: Sun, Dec 28 2008 8:10 PM

Im seriously desperating about this issue.

Yesterday i turned off my PC after beeing online all night.

Today morning i turned ON my PC and didnt have internet...! Indifferent Quickly i check my values with CMD IPCONFIG.

All was right, all my values just fine.

My PC is connected with a SMC Router. Here are the numbers:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix .:netcabo.pt

IP Address .................................:192.168.2.168 (the other machine terminates in .169)

Subnet Mask ..............................: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway..........................: 192.168.2.1

Since these are and always were the normal parameters, i dont know why cant go online on my PC.

I have access to my Router and my modem site also.

Anyone can help me plz?!

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
ssj152 replied on Mon, Dec 29 2008 8:09 AM

What you are telling me is that your LAN (Local Area Network) is working, but your WAN (Wide Area Network) connection is most likely down. A router provides a connection between these 2 (or more - wireless, etc.) networks. It also often is used to provide an IP address (DHCP) for your computers and other IP connected devices (print servers, media boxes, etc.) That part seems to be OK.

I assume you have a Cable or DSL modem to get onto the Internet. Shut the power down to it (usually unplug it), do the same to your Router, and shut the PC down (this step may not be necessary).

Wait for the devices to really shut down, say 15-30 seconds, then start the Modem, wait a few seconds, and start the Router, and if you shut your PC down, bring it back up and log in. If you aren't able to see the Internet, call your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and ask them if there are problems with their service at your location.

Good luck, Stuart

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Mon, Dec 29 2008 9:58 AM

sounds like something is up connecting to your dns server(s) from that machine.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Points 1,625
CoLdGlOoM replied on Mon, Dec 29 2008 10:12 AM

I tried all kind of things to make it work. Reset for 30s, restart, Turn off, configured router severel times and nothing.Huh?

digitaldd:

sounds like something is up connecting to your dns server(s) from that machine.

The problem is solved!!!

Just done it with a help of a friend! I had to force DNS on my Local connection settings to make it work.

I dont know why because it was always in automatic detection mode and work fine. (damn bugs)

Thanx for the Help!Smile

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Mon, Jan 12 2009 10:18 AM

Sounds like your ISP's DNS server went down.

Next time do a IPCONFIG /ALL command in CMD. This will provide you with DNS information as well. If there is no DNS then you're not gonna be able to get to the web by typing in the domain name. It's also a good idea to have a site's IP address handy. Like google.com 74.125.45.147. If you type in www.google.com and get nothing, then type in the IP address and make it to google. It's a DNS issue. :-)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS