PlayStation Home Launching Tomorrow

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,856
Points 1,115,310
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 10 2008 4:23 PM

We knew Sony’s much delayed virtual community for owners of its PlayStation 3, called PlayStation Home, was coming, but now, we know an official date: tomorrow. This 3D virtual on-line community gives PS3 users a place to chat (via voice or text) and play games with other PlayStation Home users. You’ll also get your own personalized avatar. With your avatar, you’ll be able to wander around virtual lawns, bowling alleys, arcades, and homes in the PS3, though the main activity will be playing games and becoming friends with other PS3 fans.

According to Junji "JB" Shoda, a Sony Computer Entertainment Japan vice president, who oversees Home, the service isn’t meant to compete with virtual worlds like Linden Lab's "Second Life." Shoda also noted that Sony had the idea for Home before such virtual worlds became popular.

Positioned as an open beta, Home will be available to download and use for free. The basic features are free, anyway; services like creating a club will require some dough. The service will be offered in eight languages and will be updated with new games, licensing partners, and events such as a New Year's countdown ceremony.

Home has been delayed twice from its originally promised date of 2007. According to Shoda, the delays were needed to gather feedback and understand what gamers wanted. Sony was also checking on security and other anti-crime features.

So long as Sony’s old rootkit problems don’t resurface, this looks to be an exciting new offering. All kidding aside, check out Red Bull's PlayStation Home Air Race game below:

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Wed, Dec 10 2008 6:37 PM

>> Shoda also noted that Sony had the idea for Home before such virtual worlds became popular. <<

Hahahaha hahaha ha haahaha...  oh, wait... he's serious?  Did anyone tell him that Second Life was released over five years ago?  I was a beta tester in 2002.

How about Alpha Worlds, it was real big a few years before Second Life... and let you build (which the Home beta does not really let you do).

Did anyone tell him about about Worlds Chat, which was hugely popular circa 1995?

If Sony had the idea for Home over 13 years ago, I'll eat my car.  I don't care how big your company is, you did *not* think of it first.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

3vi1:
Hahahaha hahaha ha haahaha...  oh, wait... he's serious? 

Yeah sometimes I wonder how high ups in corporation brain wash themselves into beliving this crap

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 210
Points 2,845
shanewu replied on Thu, Dec 11 2008 9:44 AM

>> If Sony had the idea for Home over 13 years ago, I'll eat my car.

Call me weird, but I'm kinda hoping that someone proves that Sony had the idea for Home 14 years ago.

;-)

"Everyone always wants new things. Everybody likes new inventions, new technology. People will never be replaced by machines. In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy." - Michael Scott (The Office)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Eh, not really interested. PS3 is a home entertainment (read: media) machine that can play games. Too bad most of the few games on it ether suck or have better versions on other platforms. Since I'm a gamer, nope, not for me.

On the other hand, if I was looking for a cheap Media Center/Bluray player, then it would be on the top of my list. Oh well, already have a HTPC hooked up to my HDTV.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS