driver question

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815
recoveringknowitall Posted: Wed, Nov 26 2008 6:22 PM

I just purchased an Asus board with an intel chipset(G45). Should I dl the drivers from Asus site or would it be ok to dl the drivers directly from intel site since they seem to be more current. The reason I ask is because my understanding is that sometimes the board partners either write their own drivers or modify the mfr drivers.

This question applies to all other components on the board... audio and lan from realtek: get from Asus or directly from realtek site?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Nov 26 2008 7:10 PM

It depends on the particular board.  If the board manufacturer added additional components/features, as is sometimes the case with video cards, those fetures will be lost if you go to the chipset manufacturer's drivers.

I've never had a problem with using the chipset drivers myself, but I can't guarantee that you won't discover something I've never had the displeasure to encounter.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Thx 4 the input.

Do you have any expirience with Asus? If so, which utilities are worthwhile/useful?

BTW: The board is an matx board. LINK If you could find any additional info on this board that would help alot... thx again!

BTW2: How's your new laptop workin out for you?

~EDIT~

Just saw your post about it... will comment/respond there.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I always download the drivers from Nvidia for my asus p5n-e sli. Never had a problem.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Sounds about right. Only driver I think I'll have to get from Asus for sure is the onboard audio driver since this board has a realtek chip that's exclusive to Asus(ALC1200/Azure). 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS