YouTube Videos Go Widescreen

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,883
Points 1,116,855
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Nov 25 2008 9:11 AM

In the unlikely event that you've gone more than a day watching a YouTube video, the next time you see one you'll notice that it's probably going to look a little different. Yesterday, YouTube switched all of its videos over to a larger-sized player window with a widescreen format.

In a blog post announcing the new look for YouTube, "The YouTube Team" offered the following information:

Bigger Isn't Always Better... But in This Case, We Believe It Is

Over the years we've heard a lot of feedback from you about what you'd like to change about YouTube, and the size of our video player is always top of mind. That's why today we're excited to announce a bigger YouTube player.

We're expanding the width of the page to 960 pixels to better reflect the quality of the videos you create and the screens that you use to watch them. This new, wider player is in a widescreen aspect ratio which we hope will provide you with a cleaner, more powerful viewing experience. And don't worry, your 4:3 aspect ratio videos will play just fine in this new player.

As always, we welcome your feedback and encourage you to share your thoughts with us on this exciting, new change happening for all videos on YouTube.

Have fun watching!
The YouTube Team

YouTube widescreen video

We spent a little bit of time this morning randomly picking YouTube videos to get a sense of how many widescreen videos were available. Our unscientific survey tells us that there aren't many available yet. The overwhelming majority of available videos are still in the 4:3 aspect ratio. But what this means is that 4:3 aspect ratio videos now play back in a widescreen window with black bars on either side of the window. We even found a few videos where black bars were around all sides of the video, indicating that the original video was widescreen, but "letterboxed" so as to fit in the original 4:3 aspect ratio-based YouTube window.

YouTube 4:3 video

The feedback to the switch appears to be mixed. Many unhappy users, however, are complaining that they don't like the way their 4:3 aspect ratio-based videos look in the new widescreen window and would prefer if YouTube would give them the option of choosing either a 4:3 or 16:9 window when they upload videos.

If you haven't taken seen the new YouTube video window format, we encourage you to take a look and then let us know what you think about this new format in the comments section below.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255
tanka12345 replied on Tue, Nov 25 2008 12:59 PM

Don't like it one bit! Hope they fix it because it looks really messed up. Angry

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,416
Points 46,585
ForumsAdministrator

And then there is THIS reported YouTube HD hack. 

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Super Dave:
And then there is THIS reported YouTube HD hack. 

I saw this the list night. Very cool stuff.

replied on Tue, Nov 25 2008 4:54 PM

I put a video up a year or so ago in wide screen format and now it actually looks right! After 2,209,458 views!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,416
Points 46,585
ForumsAdministrator

kewlncguy:

I put a video up a year or so ago in wide screen format and now it actually looks right! After 2,209,458 views!

Now it says the video is no longer available!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

replied on Wed, Nov 26 2008 12:36 AM

Super Dave:

kewlncguy:

Comes up fine on this end

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

kewlncguy:

Super Dave:

kewlncguy:

Comes up fine on this end

diddo works for me.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,416
Points 46,585
ForumsAdministrator

Funny thing, it works for me now!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Thu, Nov 27 2008 4:41 PM

I love the widescreen I think it looks great, much easier on the eye.

Super Dave:

I've run into this problem a few times on youtube.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Dev:

I love the widescreen I think it looks great, much easier on the eye.

Super Dave:

I've run into this problem a few times on youtube.

Sometimes youtube won't play videos for me . It will play a second then stop untill I move the slider then it will play another second and stop. Restarting FF fixes it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 152
Points 1,870
imAcpufan replied on Sat, Nov 29 2008 10:51 AM

The widescreen format is cool. It would be nice to see the resolution go up a bit to. One thing that's ironic though is how this impacts the "Youtube Ready" functions on a lot of new digital cameras. Shoot some video and it's all ready to be directly uploaded to Youtube...only now the full-screen format on the camera doesn't match properly.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - 4GB Corsair DDR2-1066

BFG GTX 260 - Creative Audigy 2 ZS - CM Cosmos S Case

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS