AMD Sneak Peeks Phenom II, Overclocks To 5+GHz

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,733
Points 1,209,505
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Nov 20 2008 5:37 PM

We’ve been spending some quality time with the folks at AMD today in sunny Austin, TX today.  The team here has been giving us a run-down on their upcoming Phenom II processor along with the enthusiast platform they’re calling “Dragon”.  In short, the Dragon platform is a combination of an AMD Phenom II processor, Radeon 4800 Graphics cards and an AMD 7 series chipset based motherboard.

However, today’s discussion was keenly focused on AMD's upcoming Phenom II processor, two models of which will launch in early January that will be socket AM2+ compatible.  In addition, some time in Q1, AMD will launch new AM3 socket Phenom II processors with support for DDR3-1333 memory.  In the short term, (read CES ’08 time frame release) specifically, there will be two chips available with clock speeds starting at 2.8GHz but with a lot of headroom for future clock speed ramps as well as some heavy duty overclocking.  In addition, with the transition to 45nm fab process technology for Phenom II, AMD is claiming a 30 – 40% power consumption reduction under full load and up to a 50% reduction under idle conditions. 

Beyond that, from a clock-for-clock performance perspective, optimizations have been made to the CPU pipeline, including improvements to the branch predictions, pre-fetch mechanisms and TLB (transition look-aside buffer) optimizations.  In total, along with larger cache sizes (now 512KB L2 cache per core with a 6MB L3 cache) and higher clock speeds, AMD claims the new Phenom II should offer a 30 – 40% performance increase over all.

What was perhaps most impressive was AMD’s demonstration of the product and their overclocking prowess with the chip.  On display were several machines setup to overclock with everything from standard air cooling to water, phase change refrigeration and finally Liquid Nitrogen.   On air the Phenom II was able to hit around 4GHz  at 1.55V with 32ºC temps.  With water cooling at 1.6V the new Phenom II broke 4GHz with a 39ºC core temp and in a Vapochill setup we saw 4.4+GHz. The final icing on the cake, so to speak, was the LN2 setup where the Phenom II ran stable at speeds well in excess of 5GHz and booted at speeds in excess of 6GHz.

Things certainly seem to be heating up in Austin and the transition to 45nm for AMD seems to be progressing quite well.  We’ll be offering a full performance evaluation and showcase of AMD’s new Phenom II processor in the weeks ahead, so stay tuned. 

• | Post Points: 155
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
chronous replied on Thu, Nov 20 2008 8:02 PM

interesting

but why January

cant wait to see the benchmark against core i7

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Thu, Nov 20 2008 8:34 PM

Dear AMD,

If you want to compete, combine an Athlon and ATI into a single chip, then market it for portable devices.

NVidia can't do that.

Intel can't do that (well).

Takeover from the bottom and work your way up. It worked with my girlfriend.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

PHENOM for the win....

dirty videos

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55
userf replied on Fri, Nov 21 2008 2:15 AM

I saw many good, affordable, and fast AMD processors, and then came that *** Hector Ruiz. Now when he is gone I can finally see fast CPU from AMD that can be over clocked. Thank you Lord.

In addition, my suggestion to AMD is to hire professional programmers to write drivers for GPU (with "digital vibrance" NVidia has it for years) and to return current programmers in the country they caught them, probably India.

HH great article, as usual.

Quid Pro Quo

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55
userf replied on Fri, Nov 21 2008 5:54 AM

No

hey SWINE, wrong forum.

Quid Pro Quo

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

Looking forward to Amd and Intels offerings with these kind of numbers its whole newball game.Just have to wait for our guys here to play with them and post some good HH reveiws and some user reveiws.I think there,s some guys here with the means to do this so it will be neat to see some competition on some numbers here!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Can't wait to see prices. These look like fun CPUs.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

News:

In total, along with larger cache sizes (now 512KB L2 cache per core with a 6MB L3 cache)

Current Phenoms already have 512KB L2 per core.  Is that a typo, and the L2 is larger now, or a mistake because you thought it was an increase?

Hello

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Fri, Nov 21 2008 12:49 PM

It looks to me as if AMD and Intel swapped places from a few years back....i mean this in the sense that Intel use to be all about making their CPUs look awesome with huge clock speeds; AMD was all about efficiency...

Although the overclocking would be fun either way with the Phenom II

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55
userf replied on Fri, Nov 21 2008 1:14 PM

I never had Intel on my desktop, since Duron, but if AMD doesn't introduce another Barton in the January (performance + price), then "Hello Intel" "F**** of AMD"...

Quid Pro Quo

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Fri, Nov 21 2008 1:44 PM

Ice, it looks like AMD has finally gotten their chip tweaked the way they want, efficient as all get out and clocks like a mofo. Im really displeased with AMD and their release dates. They have been promising Kuma since Q1 of 2008 and havent even gotten that to market yet and the AM2+ only denebs have more sources leaking that they are coming Q4 08 instead of Q1 09. Really AMD needs to stop messing around and put their stuff out there. IMO it is kinda dumb to miss the Christmas season when lots and lots of folks get new computers.

Overall it looks pretty much like what i had seen for the last week and finally posted it here incase anyone was interested but so far it appears like only 2 peeps have even replied. So sad cause i remember when all the regulars were AMD fans and to be Intel was to be taken with a grain of salt since most of the ones on HH at that time were uber fanboys.

I cant wait for these new chips to come out, then when the price drops down and the initial bugs worked out ill be able to get a sweet Dragon Platform rig going. With AMD's continuous improvement concept, the later you get chips the better the silicon should be and likely that it will OC as high if not higher than the initial release chips.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Fri, Nov 21 2008 2:33 PM

i still like amd, but drago the reason people loved amd back then was they were cheaper, faster, and overclocked better. now intel is faster, and overclocks better, thats why people love intel now.

i still like amd, and am hoping they can retake the performance crown. and i agree amd disapointed me when they promised uber-fast "true quad" cpu's amd their 4x4 platform was a joke. not to mention ati and the 2900xt.... :-/ hopefully this cpu can compete with the i7.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

It's good to see AMD are catching up with Intel. Hopefully they'll eventually become the market leader in processors and graphics! =)

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

I don't have a favoirte maker over the other, my big thing is price/performance... Heres hoping that the new breed of chips from AMD will bring up the bar once again

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Sun, Nov 23 2008 12:39 AM

Der Meister:
I don't have a favoirte maker over the other, my big thing is price/performance... Heres hoping that the new breed of chips from AMD will bring up the bar once again

+99999999999999999999999

I am all about price/performance ratio and not really brand loyal (unless its my displays)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

ice91785:

Der Meister:

+99999999999999999999999

I am all about price/performance ratio and not really brand loyal (unless its my displays)

I Third. None of these company's have gone far enough out of there way for me to warrant to spend more money on less speed.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS