HotHardware Holiday Sweepstakes!

rated by 0 users
This post has 271 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,505
Points 1,197,020
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Nov 14 2008 11:22 AM
It’s that time again folks!  Time for another giveaway here at HotHardware!  We’ve teamed up with our friends at AMD and will be giving away prizes--including a complete small form factor PC--to three lucky winners. Instead of a straightforward sweepstakes, however, we wanted to have a little fun and get all of your creative juices flowing this time around.

We’re going to keep this one fairly open ended.  We want you all to stretch your legs, be as creative as you can be, and design the AMD / ATI powered PC (or PC component) of the future!  If you want to draw up a mini-super computer with an over-the-top graphics configuration--go for it!  Maybe you’ve got an idea for an awesome looking GPU heatsink? Or a funky new graphics card design? That would be cool too! Our main goal here is for everyone to have FUN, so anything goes!  And don't think you need to be an expert in 3D modeling to win. Like we said, we want you all to have fun, so just do your best with Paint if you have to!

In the end, the most impressive and creative designs take the cake, or components in this case!

First Prize

Second Prize

Third Prize

First Prize:

• 1 x Fully Configured Micro PC
  •  Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2
  • CPU: AMD Phenom X4 Quad-Core 9350e, 2.0GHz
  • Graphics: PowerColor Radeon HD 4670
  • Chassis: Thermaltake LANBOX Lite VF6000BWS
  • Memory: Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz 4GB (2x2GB)
  • Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar (WD6400AAKS) 640GB SATAII 7200 RPM 16MB Buffer
  • CPU Cooler: Scythe SHURIKEN
  • PSU: Enermax ETK500AWT Tomahawk 500W
  • Optical Drive: LG GBC-H20L Blu-Ray / DVD
Second Prize

• PowerColor Radeon HD 4830
Third Prize

• PowerColor Radeon HD 4670

Please submit your entries to hh.contest@hothardware.com and post them in this discussion thread as well, so the community can check them out. The contest will run through the 2008 holiday season and we’ll announce the winners Wednesday December 31, 2008.  We're accepting entries from anyone across the globe for this giveaway--this one is not limited to US residents only.  As always, participation in the various HotHardware forum and news community discussions will have the contest gods smiling upon you, so get in there and chat it up.  Good luck everyone!  Have Fun!

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 575
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Fri, Nov 14 2008 12:09 PM

another great contest sweet!

i wish i had some intresting ideas... i cant wait to see what some members come up with... :-)

EDIT- YAY! NOT U.S. ONLY CONTEST!!!  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 4,730

SWEEET! I can enter this one, ok I'm on it this time. I even have a cool idea I have been beating around for a while too.

AMD X6 1100T - MSI 750-G55 - 16GB Patriot Viper II - nVidia GTX 470 - SB XFi Titanium>JVC A-X9>JBL Control Monitor 4312A

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

This is great looks lie fun. I dont know that I have the ability and or software to perform this task but it sounds like a lot of fun!Thanks to HH and its sponsers as always.I,ll have to sit back and watch all of you geniouses here and see what you use in the form of software to perform this task.Even if I come up with an idea, Im not going to be as techniclly inclined as most of you but Im going to try anyways!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Fri, Nov 14 2008 12:22 PM

@ ender.... cool idea.... beating around for a while? i hope you dont plan to make a penis case :p

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

ice_73:

@ ender.... cool idea.... beating around for a while? i hope you dont plan to make a penis case :p

(deleted by admin)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Indifferent 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Nov 14 2008 1:18 PM

lol guys... Yeah, this is a very cool HH sweepstakes. May the most creative win!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Hey Good luck to everyone. When I build my girlfriend's SFF PC I wanted to get her this case. It's very nice. Not quite as small as a Shuttle. She had her heart set on the qpack though.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 4,730

LOL, no not a penis case.... however...  I might be able to work that out, and plam it off as a second entry, just requires a few different strokes of the mighty ...  ahem ... pencil.(what did you think I was gonna type there)

AMD X6 1100T - MSI 750-G55 - 16GB Patriot Viper II - nVidia GTX 470 - SB XFi Titanium>JVC A-X9>JBL Control Monitor 4312A

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Sweet!!!

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

Endersothergame:

LOL, no not a penis case.... however...  I might be able to work that out, and plam it off as a second entry, just requires a few different strokes of the mighty ...  ahem ... pencil.(what did you think I was gonna type there)

LOL it dont matter!! if you dont mind calling it a pencil we dont,  personally though Id keep that to myself  Confused LOL

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Fri, Nov 14 2008 3:40 PM

Awesome contest, too bad I'm famished by school and too lazy to do make a drawing ha!

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Good luck to all entrants! That case looks pretty badass.

Hello

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

This should be interesting. hmm, I am sure I could come up with something orignal here. Are you guys just looking for a sketch of an idea or full blown blueprints with like dimensions and specs and all?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,652
Points 55,425
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Nov 14 2008 4:48 PM

Let's heat this thread up with good submission, folks!  And the other comment/threads too!   Big Smile

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,363
Points 48,690
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Fri, Nov 14 2008 4:49 PM

Whatever you're up for doing Nelson, is fine by us. The more details the better, but we're not expecting all of you to be Da Vinci's :)

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 4,730

OK do you guys want it simply posted here, or sent somewhere...curse me if I missed it uptop.

***edit*** ok, nevermind I reread it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

man I think the hardest part of this is coming up with something original. A quick google search and so far someone has already done a similar version of what I had already brainstormedSad

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Fri, Nov 14 2008 8:20 PM

well, i dont know i think reflective glass for inside of case, with a mirror finish on the outside of the case too, with a big window... ? i know its probably not too original, but that is something i wish they had. 

also, perhaps project frostbite could count as a submission :p  

edit.... perhaps i missed this but what are points?!
ohh, and mines over 9000!  

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 4,730

The AMD Primary Processing Unit

image not to scale

&amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --&amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;

What this image shows is the PPU Sled with a CPU intensive user configuration. This one has three dual core CPU's and one GPU installed. The PPU sled can be configured by the user to suit his or her needs accordingly. For example; perhaps the system is to be used in a server or data rendering role in which case it would be laid out with four quad cores and no added GPU. Thus the motherboard would default to onboard graphics, such as a four or eight MB Radeon.

Or perhaps the user needs a more robust platform and would lay it out as two dual core CPU's and two GPU's in crossfire. The PPU Sled would be able to detect what is socketed in to any of the four sockets using the interpreter and show options in the BIOS for what is present, and remove options in the BIOS for what is not. Thus in the above layout the onboard graphics would be disabled by default.

The motherboard will have slots for system RAM and for video RAM that would also be user upgradeable. Thus if the user decides they want to have two gigabytes of texture memory and one gigabyte of system RAM that is their choice. Texture memory would be limited to GDDR5 for ease of use. System memory would be limited to DDR3 again for ease of use.

I have discussed that the CPU core configurations are varied as are GPU's however the rules are still the same for crossfire, the GPU's still have to match for best results. CPU core configurations would be available in single, dual, tri and quad configurations. GPU's would include the various product lines AMD offers from entry to extreme.

Any questions I will try and answer.

(Sorry my art skills aren't good,and I have no 3D skills)

*edit*  I fear I wasn't clear as to the use of the PPU Sled so I have created a basic layout of a motherboard it would be used with so as to help make it clear.

If you have any questions I will be happy to try and answer them for you.  Clearly above is a basic image, there would be different revisions based on product levels.  But common elements would be dual Gb LAN, Integrated HD 7.1 Audio and Integrated VGA using its own discrete memory(not more then 64Mb), as well as standard video out options including D-Sub 15 Pin, DVI, HDMI, S-Video and Display port in various combinations as the manufacturer desires.  The inclusion of EIDE, and the PCIe 16 slot is optional.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Nov 14 2008 9:59 PM

[This space reserved for better idea]

:p

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

amdcrankitup:
 (deleted by admin)

What I do wasnt that bad was it! sorry

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 4,730

Did you post the penis case?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,652
Points 55,425
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Nov 15 2008 10:15 AM

amdcrankitup:

amdcrankitup:
 (deleted by admin)

What I do wasnt that bad was it! sorry

Nah, no big deal.  We just launched the contest thread and have a lot of folks checking it out, so just wanted to clean it up a bit.

Editor In Chief

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 4,730

Are we allowed multiple entries?  I ask because my above entry although working together with each other could be considered two entries.  Whats more I have two other ideas I would like to submit.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,363
Points 48,690
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Sat, Nov 15 2008 2:34 PM

Endersothergame:

Are we allowed multiple entries?  I ask because my above entry although working together with each other could be considered two entries.  Whats more I have two other ideas I would like to submit.

Sure.  You're allowed multiple entries--just don't spam the thread.  If they're legit entries, go for it.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,652
Points 55,425
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Nov 15 2008 6:01 PM

And dudes and dudettes, USE THE NEW FORUM USER PICTURES area to post your pics!  Big Smile

Editor In Chief

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Dave/Marco, why haven't you responded to my thread asking about this new points thing... many of us are very curious.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,652
Points 55,425
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Nov 15 2008 6:19 PM

recoveringknowitall:

Dave/Marco, why haven't you responded to my thread asking about this new points thing... many of us are very curious.

Because there's not enough hours in the day?  Fish don't fly?  You shouldn't spit in the wind?  Insert your excuse ____ (here).  Cool

Sorry, responded.

Editor In Chief

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,652
Points 55,425
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Nov 15 2008 6:20 PM

Dave_HH:

recoveringknowitall:

Because there's not enough hours in the day?  Fish don't fly?  You shouldn't spit in the wind?  Insert your excuse ____ (here).  Cool

Sorry, responded.

Oh wait, wait... the dog ate my homework.  Yeah that's the ticket!

Editor In Chief

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

Dave_HH:
Nah, no big deal.  We just launched the contest thread and have a lot of folks checking it out, so just wanted to clean it up a bit.

No problem Dave I,ll be more carefull while Im in public!  LOL ThanksGeeked

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 4,730

Dave_HH:

And dudes and dudettes, USE THE NEW FORUM USER PICTURES area to post your pics!  Big Smile

I would but for some reason I am not bright enough to figure out how to link the images to the replies.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

just right click on the picture and copy link location.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,614
Points 67,270
^Bad_Boy^ replied on Tue, Nov 18 2008 10:20 AM

Hahaha that's a great Contest Concept ;)..

Can't wait to see the Contestants :)

Dammit! What's My Age Again???

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 4,730

bob_on_the_cob:

just right click on the picture and copy link location.

Dunno why but 1st time through it didn't seem to want to work, using local links now, thank you for your help.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Endersothergame: I was thinking of somthing very simaler (but diffrent) to what you came up with... intresting

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 4,730

Der Meister:

Endersothergame: I was thinking of somthing very simaler (but diffrent) to what you came up with... intresting

Interesting, just goes to show there is no such thing as a unique idea.  PM me with what you had in mind I am curious, or if its different enough submit it?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
rubytom replied on Tue, Nov 18 2008 3:35 PM

I am interested in attempting to piggyback two motherboards in tandem ,possibly by shunting between IDE ports, this will probably take me quite awhile

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

Dave_HH:

Where and how do I post in the new user picture forum?Confused

Page 1 of 7 (272 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS