This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,354
Points 48,585
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C Posted: Wed, Nov 5 2008 9:53 PM

Hi All,

I got another interesting question from a reader named Matt on the Laptop Experts website that I wanted to run by all of you and get some opinions.  Matt and his wife were debating whether or not unplugging and plugging back in a notebook's charger to let it run on battery power a couple of times a day would maximize the battery's performance on the laptop.  My answer was that he should let the batter completely run down before re-charging, but I wanted to ask you all if you had any tips or tricks on maximizing battery performance?  And while we're at it, have any of you ever heard any myths about notebooks battery life that made you do a double-take?

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

There are all kinds of "tips and tricks" out there that may or may not work. I would say it's fine to leave it plugged in as long as you drain it every now and then.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Thu, Nov 6 2008 7:28 AM

here is my $0.02 in the deal. it really does not matter because laptop batteries are only good for max of 2-3 years.

I still got my Dell E1505 is about 3 years old and i have not replaced the battery. and it is always plug in. unless i'm in the sofa or in bed. even with my XPS 1530 which i use it for work purposes is always plug so it does not matter. btw laptop are only good for 4-5 years after that you have to start swapping cpu fan and others things....

MacBook Pro 13.3" LED-Backlit Glossy, Intel "Penryn" Core 2 Duo T8700 - 2.53G, 8GB DDR3 1066, NVIDIA GForce 9400M 1280X800

HTPC 4G DDR3 XMS Corsair, Intel i5-750 Quad Core, 6ft HDMI Cable by Rosewill, AverMedia Tv Card, Gigabyte P55M-UD2,  Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Vapor X Cooling, 500 HD Maxtor 7200 2.5 HDD, Asus Blu-Ray Optical Drive, 46" LED Toshiba TV

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Thu, Nov 6 2008 7:41 PM

I do pretty much the same thing as Bob, and haven't had bad results.  My laptops are plugged in most of the time, but when I do have a chance to use it on battery I typically let it drain all the way (and I've not noticed much depreciation in battery life doing things this way).

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I don't have any lappys, but I have been doing that with my first gen Ipod nano. It stays plugged in in my car, but every now and then I bring it over someones house or something. It's little battery is still running strong.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
maria987 replied on Wed, Dec 10 2008 9:37 PM

I am eagerly anticipating Hyperspace, which I read about in WIRED. It lets you run applications without having to boot up your OS or run your OS. I have not used this myself, but I am interested in trying it to see if it really does make a big difference. I looked up the link to the WIRED article. Here it is if you want to check it out.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2007/11/phoenix

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS