Amazon Launches "Frustration-Free Packaging"

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,875
Points 1,116,275
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Nov 3 2008 6:14 PM

OMG, finally! We're glad to see a retailer as large as Amazon.com has taken some initiative. How many of you are frustrated by blister or clamshell style packaging such as above?

The dang things are so annoying that "how-tos" have been written about them. It's easy to get a cut from their sharp edges, so we're not surprised that articles about "safely" opening them has been written. Custom openers have even been developed.

Amazon.com is, with its "Frustration-Free Packaging" project, taking a step toward eliminating not just those packs but also things like tiny SD cards packed in large boxes.

The project is starting small, with only 19 products from manufacturers including Fisher-Price, Mattel, Microsoft and Transcend. However, Amazon.com plans to expand this across their line in 2009.

In their press release, Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.com said:
"I think we've all experienced the frustration that sometimes occurs when you try to get a new toy or electronics product out of its package. It will take many years, but our vision is to offer our entire catalog of products in Frustration-Free Packaging. We'd like to thank Fisher-Price, Mattel, Microsoft and Transcend for working with us in this effort - we truly appreciate it."
Yes!, their entire catalog (eventually). Now that would be nice. For now, their current list of products in FF packaging is here.

Now, since we know we're not the only persons to cut their hands with the edge of an "opened" blister pack or some other such crappy packaging, can we get this message across to other retailers? Besides less injuries, it would be a heck of a lot more green.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Can opener method = Genuis!

I do hate those plastic packages. They are manageable though. I hate the little stickers they put at the top and bottom of DVDs/video games. I always seem to put a little nick or pull in the DVD case plastic. Not that I write that down I think I may be a little OCD.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Tue, Nov 4 2008 7:39 AM

It's not just you, Bob.

I'm sure there's a special place in hell for the guy who created that packaging. Right next to the inventor of the CD case.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 210
Points 2,845
shanewu replied on Tue, Nov 4 2008 10:40 AM

I totally agree with your enthusiasm, Michael!

FFP FTW!!!!

"Everyone always wants new things. Everybody likes new inventions, new technology. People will never be replaced by machines. In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy." - Michael Scott (The Office)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 24,255
digitaldd replied on Fri, Nov 7 2008 11:31 AM

I have a cd opener thing I got a trade show many years ago its a piece of plastic with a little razor blade that is spring loaded. I broke one of the guides off one side and it makes a perfect blister pack opener.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS