ECS GeForce 9800 GTX+ Hydra Kit

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,905
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Oct 24 2008 11:37 AM

When we think about ECS and their product lines, we typically expect a budget-minded approach. Solid products at reasonable prices that don't exactly wow the consumer, but don't hit them hard in the wallet either. The ECS X48T-A motherboard that we looked at a few weeks ago was one of the first steps by ECS to change that image, although a few missteps with the construction as well as some overclocking issues didn't overly sway us to their new way of thinking.

Thus, we were a bit surprised when we first heard about the ECS GeForce 9800 GTX+ Hydra - a twin pack of high-end graphics cards consisting of two GeForce 9800 GTX+ cards combined with liquid-cooling. The 9800 GTX+ is the upper level of the 9xxx series, with the plus denoting an extra bump in the clock speeds to get better peformance in the most demanding applications. Two of these used in an SLI configuration would be a gamer's dream, although the noise and heat output could be an issue. ECS has solved these problems by providing the customized liquid cooling unit from ThermalTake using the BigWater 760is. ECS hopes to make a big splash here with the Hydra pack, possibly the first of its kind to include all three components in one box. First, we'll take a look at the specs of the GeForce 9800 GTX+ and then move onto a closer look at ECS' take on it and finally the BigWater 760is.

ECS GeForce 9800 GTX+ Hydra Kit

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

can't say that I have ever had a trust in ECS products. They are definatley not in the top 5 companies and not worth the risk for me. However if a larger number of people give them a chance and they're reputation for reliability increases then maybe I might consider them in the future. As of right now I consider them an off brand version so to say. I am also not a fan of watercooling kits but for someone who doesn't want the hassle but wants the extra's this may be a very good option. Kudos for trying to target to a certain category of enthusiats but I don't think this will take hold for most enthusiats who already have their list of companies they trust and who usually prefer to do it themselves anyway. Who knows what the future brings though

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

My girlfriends 9600gt is a ECS. I also had a ECS motherboard a few years back that was alright. Not a great overclocker, but it was a solid board. I think they have stepped it up a notch in the last few years. That said I'm not sure about these cards. They still take up 4 slots on the motherboard. They just seem to take up way to much space and do not provide the performance to justify such time consumption.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70
gazdone replied on Fri, Oct 24 2008 5:07 PM

Well he has it pretty well right about the shoddy workmanship,copper plate peeling away from the chips is not my idea of a try out.Try having a review of EVGA's GTX 280 HC16 of the clear or the plain black.I've seen that what's his name gurus site with his review and I reckon you can out do his review.http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/mittelgrosse/medium-smiley-064.gif

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70
gazdone replied on Fri, Oct 24 2008 5:09 PM

Sorry about the ending of my last reply,I have not learnt how to use smiley yet.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

It's ironic that Elite Group has trouble making elite products... let alone those of the standard variety. lol 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,420

Ive used Elited Group in the past but more geared toward customers basic needs than a performance PC.Im supprised than they went out on the limb to create a performance based component in addition throwing in a thermaltake product and doing a less than adequate job on the card itself!Kinda of useless even to go through the paces!Usally cutting corners like that means NO Sale!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Wed, Oct 29 2008 7:27 PM

i had an ecs motherboard long ago in the socket a times. it was good imo, i falshed the bios to a hacked version, overclocked my athalon and was more than happy for the overclock the budget board gave me!!! it did not fail me and last many years 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS