Put old hard drive in another computer??

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
michael_92 Posted: Mon, Oct 20 2008 1:19 PM

Hi

My computer just died and won't boot, and before I put it to be repaired I want to back up my data onto my brother's computer by putting my hard drive in his computer as a second drive.My drive contains everything from my old computer (windows, installations and music etc.)

However his PC has a RAID set up and I don't know if it will work. Is it possible to add another hard drive as a second drive to a computer with a RAID set up?

I don't plan to boot to this drive or anything, I just want to copy over some of my files so I don't lose them. Is this even possible if the drive has windows installed?

Also, the drive has no jumper on it. It is a SATA Seagate Barracuda 160GB, and I researched this on the internet and it said that the drive will configure itself automatically. Is this true?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

The raid setup should be fine.

You should be able to just plug in the drive to a sata slot on his motherboard and plug in a power cord and boot it up. It will show up under my computer as drive d most likely. sata drives dont need jumpers that only for older ide drives.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS