Android Has a Remote Kill Switch, Too

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,490
Points 1,196,345
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Oct 16 2008 10:18 PM

Heads-up: Apple isn’t the only one implementing remote kill switches for applications in their phones. According to recent reports, the Android platform has one, too. The thing is: At least Google owns up to it up front (instead of allowing a developer to discover it like Apple did) by including a mention in the Android Market terms of service, saying:

Google may discover a product that violates the developer distribution agreement ... in such an instance, Google retains the right to remotely remove those applications from your device at its sole discretion.

Given that nearly anything goes in Google's Android Market, there’s a definite chance of malicious or otherwise unwanted applications appearing there. Google’s process is distinctly different from Apple’s App Store, since Apple inspects applications before they become available.

Google goes on to say that it will make an effort to recover the purchase price of the software from the original developer on your behalf. We gotta give Google props for being willing to fight on our behalf. What’s more, the Android Market's policy also allows you to return an application within 24 hours of purchase for a full refund.

Another tidbit of information that comes by means of the Android Market terms of service is the fact that Android Market users will be able to reinstall an application they’ve purchased as many times as they like, which is especially helpful should the phone ever fail or become inoperable.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Well as far as the kill switch I think both apple and google will only use it if a virus or something was out there. I don't think they would want the backlash of killing a good program.

Also you can try a app for 24 hours then delete it and get your money back if you don't like it? SWEET!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Oct 17 2008 2:46 PM

/ditto to everything Bob said.

NOT having a way to stop a trojan horse that had made it through the store would be a huge oversight on the part of the vendors. Let's judge them on how they use it; if they ever use it.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 165
lolWut replied on Fri, Oct 17 2008 3:46 PM

when do we get to use android? I wouldnt mind putting that on my phone... or at least trying it out

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

lolWut:

when do we get to use android? I wouldnt mind putting that on my phone... or at least trying it out

It will be sold with the phone. HTC and T-Mobile are releasing the first one on the 22nd. Its called the G1. You will be hard pressed to get one on launch day if you have not pre ordered one already though.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS