heres an intresting idea.

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 Posted: Wed, Oct 15 2008 12:28 AM

would it be possible to have a closed loop of ln2 with some hard core compressor? (obviously i cant do this since i have no money nor knowledge, but im intrested to know if it would actually work)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Wed, Oct 15 2008 12:46 AM

ice_73:

would it be possible to have a closed loop of ln2 with some hard core compressor? (obviously i cant do this since i have no money nor knowledge, but im intrested to know if it would actually work)

There was a discussion of this here

The general consences was no since ln2 must have a phase change directly to have any convection. Meaning without oxygen there is no transfer.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Wed, Oct 15 2008 12:52 AM

yeah, they also have another thread here http://www.overclock.net/cooling-experiments/13663-automatic-refilling-ln2-cooler.html

which states you could, make a semi- closed 

and another discussion of the idea further here http://www.overclock.net/cooling-experiments/47538-closed-loop-liquid-nitrogen-cooling-3.html

however alot of these forums go against each other one thread tells us you can, another tells us you cant. and i dont know enough to sperate the stupid people from the people who actually know what they are doing and what they are talking about. obviously at least a semi-closed loop is possible, but i think a full close one should be possible with a good compressor.

better yet, how about a solid nitrogen cooler O_O think of the overclocks!  

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Wed, Oct 15 2008 1:34 AM

ice_73:

yeah, they also have another thread here http://www.overclock.net/cooling-experiments/13663-automatic-refilling-ln2-cooler.html

and another discussion of the idea further here http://www.overclock.net/cooling-experiments/47538-closed-loop-liquid-nitrogen-cooling-3.html

however alot of these forums go against each other one thread tells us you can, another tells us you cant. and i dont know enough to sperate the stupid people from the people who actually know what they are doing and what they are talking about. obviously at least a semi-closed loop is possible, but i think a full close one should be possible with a good compressor.

Would be better to use a wick based heatpipe and a heavy refrigirante such as r502 or r605. The results would be drastic

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Wed, Oct 15 2008 1:39 AM

warlord:

ice_73:

Would be better to use a wick based heatpipe and a heavy refrigirante such as r502 or r605. The results would be drastic

could you explain more? i am not familiar at all with phase change cooling (a ln2 closed loop would end up being a phase change loop anyway)  

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Wed, Oct 15 2008 1:58 AM

Instead of using a barium ether solution such as what current heatpipe tech is using. Use a more commercial approach and use a refrigirante gas such as what is used in  commerical size airconditioners  use the highly gasesus r500 or r600 series fluid since it would be much more effient at heat displcement where a compressor would not be present. This kind of tech already exist all but a much larger scale. My idea falls more of the concept of a thremo syphon and is a concept that is already in testing with some success. I would say within 2 years a retail ready kit should be available.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

This conversation is way over my head. Tongue Tied Could someone let me know what you guys aboutHmm

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Wed, Oct 15 2008 4:23 PM

bob_on_the_cob:

This conversation is way over my head. Tongue Tied Could someone let me know what you guys aboutHmm

I'm with you.  At the rate this conversation's progressing, I calculate we're about 17 posts away from one of them constructing Maxwell's demon and cooling on the quantum level.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

3vi1:

bob_on_the_cob:

I'm with you.  At the rate this conversation's progressing, I calculate we're about 17 posts away from one of them constructing Maxwell's demon and cooling on the quantum level.

I thought that is what they were doing

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Wed, Oct 15 2008 11:22 PM

bob_on_the_cob:

3vi1:

bob_on_the_cob:

I thought that is what they were doing

nah, were just building a doomsday machine, and we need to cool it off WITH SOLID NITROGEN! OHHH YEAH! 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Thu, Oct 16 2008 1:05 AM

Short and simple of what i was sayiing was to use freon instead of themo oil in heatpipes for extreme cooling. Big Smile

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS