Is "Windows Strata" Microsoft's Cloud OS?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,085
Points 1,183,160
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Oct 8 2008 11:01 PM

Earlier this month Steve Ballmer spoke about a cloud-based development environment, though he wouldn't go into detail, saving it for the Professional Developers Conference (PDC) at the end of this month. However, a look at the PDC sessions on Wednesday would have revealed a possible clue to the name of it: Windows Strata.

There were eight sessions tagged with Windows Strata early on Wednesday. If you checked back later in the day, you would have seen that tag vanish from the list of PDC sessions, however. Ooops.

The eight sessions originally tagged Strata were also tagged Cloud Computing, and that is where they sit now.

Yes, yes, we know strata is a geological term, but our guess is it's a take-off on stratosphere or stratus (the cloud).

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I like the windows live stuff, but I still would not trust the cloud to my day to day services. Of course email and stuff only online, but not being able to use my computer if the internet goes out. Not for me.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Oct 9 2008 10:13 PM

I'm probably not the only one who wouldn't trust Microsoft to pick up his garbage, much less keep our important data.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

3vi1:

I'm probably not the only one who wouldn't trust Microsoft to pick up his garbage, much less keep our important data.

I don't trust anyone, but me.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS