Digicam With Top Secret MI6 Info Sold on eBay

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,849
Points 1,114,905
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Sep 30 2008 7:51 PM

It's one thing to see, say, banking information to show up on a hard drive on eBay.  But to see top secret information show up on a digital camera (likely on an SD card) sold on eBay, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

According to The Sun, an unsuspecting 28-year-old Brit spent a pretty reasonable $31 for a Nikon Coolpix camera, and got waaaaaay more than he bargained for.  Not only did he get some top secret info, after he reported it to the police, he got a visit from Special Branch.

Among the items on the camera --- which he noticed after he downloaded the pictures from a vacation --- were a document marked "top secret" detailing a computer system used by MI6, pictures of rockets and missiles, and names of suspected al-Qaida members.

He took the information to the police, who laughed it off, but then received that Special Branch visit.  They took his computer and the camera, and according to The Sun, at least left 1,000 pounds in exchange.

Terrorism author Neil Doyle said:

“These are MI6 documents relating to an
operation against al-Qaeda insurgents in Iraq. It’s jaw-dropping they got
into the public domain.

“Not only do they divulge secrets about operations, operating systems and
previously unheard-of MI6 departments, but they could put lives at risk.”

Hmmm.  Wonder if the Russians (or others, don't get on our case about choosing them!) will start trolling eBay, now.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,420

Homeland Security! Hm dont we all feel safer NOW! NOT.What I want to know is is Anybody in Charge?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I don't understand how people that know nothing about tech can be running a world that is being changed by said tech every day. It's like being someones stock broker and know nothing about wall street.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Wed, Oct 1 2008 10:17 AM

So, if you ever want to lose all your personal data: help the police?

I very much doubt they let him get any data off his system (as that would defeat the purpose of seizing it), so he at least lost his family pictures.

I would hope he had backups, but if the backups had his vacation pics they might have had the secret docs too... and can also be assumed to be seized.

Sucks to be him.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 210
Points 2,845
shanewu replied on Wed, Oct 1 2008 10:19 AM

MI6 shouldn't sell ANYthing on eBay, and neither should the CIA, FBI, HomeSec, etc!

"Everyone always wants new things. Everybody likes new inventions, new technology. People will never be replaced by machines. In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy." - Michael Scott (The Office)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS