Dell Studio Hybrid Desktop Video Spotlight

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,782
Points 1,162,605
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 26 2008 11:12 AM

With a low-power Intel Core 2 Duo processor under its hood, the Dell Studio Hybrid is capable in many mainstream user applications and could make for a decent Home Theater PC.  Aficionados may scoff at the system's integrated Intel X3100 graphics, however, the Studio Hybrid has more than enough power to playback full 1080p resolution content with its Core 2 Duo dual core processor, 5400RPM 160GB hard drive, and DDR2-667 system memory.  As a minimalistic business-class machine, family computer or college-bound bookshelf PC, the  Dell Studio Hybrid has all of the basic features of a full sized system, in a sleek, stylish, eco-friendly footprint.  

More here in our Video Spotlight of the
Dell Studio Hybrid Desktop

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Fri, Sep 26 2008 4:39 PM

Nice compact system. Also i can't say enough about the new videos. I hope to see all product reviews have a video, so i can spare my tired eyes from the reading...lol...i'm lazy folks so thank you for feeding the couch potato in me.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

very nice. Very impressed with how little wattage it uses. Curious though, how much of the system memory is dedicated to graphics? Also is there an otpion for a larger HD or is 160GB the max?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Looks like a nice little pc and another very nice video guys!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Fri, Sep 26 2008 8:22 PM

>> Aficionados may scoff at the system's integrated Intel X3100 graphics,

Chide? Yes. Deride? Yes. Contemn? Absolutely! But never "scoff". LOL

Great video feature, and a neat little machine! Keep them coming.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,538
Points 54,420
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Sep 28 2008 10:01 PM

nelsoncp21:

very nice. Very impressed with how little wattage it uses. Curious though, how much of the system memory is dedicated to graphics? Also is there an otpion for a larger HD or is 160GB the max?

Good questions, Nelson, thanks.  Actually you can get up to a 320GB drive configured on Dell's site. 

During testing, I think the system was reporting something like ~ 132MB committed to graphics, 8MB of which is partitioned off in the BIOS automatically, the rest of which is dynamically allocated as needed.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Mon, Sep 29 2008 10:20 AM

I am surprised the box could render 1080p as well as it did. It would make a nice little HTPC for this reason alone eh? (Obviously would need to grab yourself more storage).

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Dave_HH:

nelsoncp21:

Good questions, Nelson, thanks.  Actually you can get up to a 320GB drive configured on Dell's site. 

During testing, I think the system was reporting something like ~ 132MB committed to graphics, 8MB of which is partitioned off in the BIOS automatically, the rest of which is dynamically allocated as needed.

Thanks for the response Dave. Not a bad little system especially if you can throw in a 320GB HD not to mention external storage. Only problem I see is you probally couldn't upgrade any of the components say a year down the road if you wanted to.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,538
Points 54,420
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Sep 29 2008 3:25 PM

nelsoncp21:

Dave_HH:

nelsoncp21:

Actually, you can at least upgrade RAM, CPU and Hard Drive.  I'm sure you could even toss a higher density 2.5" hard drive in there down the road as well.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

thats cool. thought they would have used a proprietary form factor or something. I guess the major limiting factor would be the graphics but it seems more the capable to handle standard tasks with it's x3100. very cool little machine. Maybe I can talk the wife into getting 1 for herself so she will stop kicking me off my machine to check her facebookBig Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS