Microsoft PC Pride Ad Hits, Sans Jerry Seinfeld

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,896
Points 1,174,415
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 19 2008 12:48 PM

The third ad in Microsoft's massive ad campaign designed to enhance the image of the company and Windows has hit the web. If you remember, the first ad featured Jerry Seinfeld stumbling upon Bill Gates shopping in a Shoe Circus store for some discount shoes. The second ad also featured Bill and Jerry, but this time as houseguests trying to connect with an ordinary family.

The first couple of ads didn't resonate well with the general populace, however, and Seinfeld has been nixed--at least for now...

This latest ad (finally) directly addresses Apple's "Get a Mac" ads, and features a myriad of Windows users saying that they're PCs, and talking about what they do with their systems. The ad isn't terribly exciting or hard hitting, but it is definitely more effective than the first two ads. What do you all think?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Fri, Sep 19 2008 1:09 PM

The first two ads, while a little bit funny, do nothing to make people want Windows.

The third ad, while not funny at all, still does nothing to make people want Windows.

The Apple ads were funny, and pointed out the negatives of the competition. Microsoft's too full of themselves to admit there *is* competition, so I can't really see them making a really successful advertisement at this point in time.

The only other ads they have running right now is the MohaveExperiment one - which depicts a bunch of people shocked to see how pretty Vista is. Presumably, the people hadn't seen Vista before because it didn't work with their hardware, or they've been on Jury duty for the last couple of years.

Disclaimer: I'm a PC... that runs Linux.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

Surely they could come up with something more interesting than these promos!Just nothing to them at all!Not that I got anything else to do but Im sorry I spent my time watching them!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

All that money and thats the best they can come up withNo

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I have to say that my non techie co workers have been talking about the seinfeld ads. If they are getting people talking about anything other than I heard Vista is no good then thats a good thing.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Sep 20 2008 6:21 PM

I would actually watch a feature length film of those two guys hanging out. But, humanizing Bill Gates by having him do mundane stuff with a more beloved multi-millionaire doesn't change my opinion on operating systems one way or the other.

Anyone serious about choosing an OS, not just using whatever comes on the cheapest machine they can buy, is unlikely to be affected even slightly by the underlying intent of the ads.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I there are people who are hearing all these funny mac ads and hearing bad stuff about vista, but still know very little. It might not change there minds, but it gets them off the topic of how bad Vista is.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Sep 22 2008 2:07 PM

I would have liked to have seen the brainstorming session behind that one:

Seinfeld: "I've got an idea!: Commercials about.... nothing!"

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS