Spore's DRM to Loosen Slightly, Soon

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,805
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Sep 18 2008 12:35 AM

Spore's rather draconian DRM, which besides being the already hated SecuROM limits the user to 3 installs and only one online account per CD key, has fostered extremely bad user reviews on Amazon.com as well as "protest creatures."

At least part of that DRM will get loosened up soon, via a patch, according to reports.

When asked by MTV's Multiplayer about the activation issue, which is mostly a problem because you can't de-authorize PCs, as you can with iTunes, for example, EA's response was:
That will be changed, according to the EA spokesperson, who told Multiplayer that the current limit on the number of computers that can be associated with a single copy of “Spore” is “very similar to a solution that iTunes has. The difference is that with iTunes you can de-authorize a computer [that you no longer want associated with your iTunes content]. Right now, with our solution, you can’t. But there is a patch coming for that.” The official timeframe for that patch is “near future.”
Near future, eh? Still, that restriction of one online account per copy will remain, and that's unfortunate for those who read the manual. According to EA, that was a misprint, and won't be changed. Guess EA couldn't figure out how Blizzard did it for Battle.net.

According to EA:
“EA has no intentions — nor will they ever — to make it easier for people to play a pirated game… than to play an authentic retail copy.”
We think that's part of the problem. Their mindset. With SecuROM DRM and all these restrictions, it's actually easier to play a pirated copy than a retail copy.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Ha I was reading somewere and they were saying that spore torrents were up 3 days before release.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 170
pbbyebye replied on Thu, Sep 18 2008 10:44 AM

i thought it was more than a week

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 210
Points 2,845
shanewu replied on Thu, Sep 18 2008 10:45 AM

boycott that crap...it's ridiculous to treat 100% of your customers like criminals. we need to talk to this companies with our $$$ since that's the only way they'll listen.

"Everyone always wants new things. Everybody likes new inventions, new technology. People will never be replaced by machines. In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy." - Michael Scott (The Office)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Thu, Sep 18 2008 9:29 PM

I hope it loosens up, you eventually for everything there is goign to be a by pass, hack.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Fri, Sep 19 2008 1:36 PM

>> With SecuROM DRM and all these restrictions, it's actually easier to play a pirated copy than a retail copy <<

You hit the nail on the head.

This happened a lot on the old C64 scene: There were copy protections that required you to plug in dongles, type in words from the manual, or worse would check for bad blocks on the floppy and thrash the head into the physical end-stop. People would remove the protection just to make it easier to use, then others would want copies more than an original.

My suggestion: Look at what those old companies like Infocom did (no, don't suddenly go into the database field). If you want to sell a boxed copy, include cool related merch in the box, or a *really* good (indispensable) manual. If you sell the game online (but it's not an online-only game), give the user access to some restricted community forum, or... something. Just *don't* restrict how the user can use the legal version - or you create what you're trying to stop.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I think the bean counters look at how much something is pirated and have a heart attack. I don't pirate anything. I have a bookcase full of games, movies, and cds. I'm old fashion like that. When I was in middle and highschool and had no money back in Napsters hayday I did, but I only had ever heard what my parents had or the radio. The fact that all that music was at my fingertips really developed my music taste. Many of the bands that I stole from as a broke teen I have been to see in concert and I own all of there CDs. Games are the same way. Most pirates are people that arn't going to buy the games anyway, but if that broke teen steals spore he may get a job in a year or so and buy Sims 3 and all the expansion packs because he becomes a fan of Will Wright.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Sat, Sep 20 2008 10:25 AM

^ nail on the head bob. they think they loose money on stuff like that? no they dont people who would buy the game would buy it. heck ive pirated a game before and bought it later on.

one reason many people pirate is because there are no "rent a game" for pc so if you buy a game for 50 bucks and dont like it, your screwed. all the release groups support companies and at the end of every nfo tell people "if you like the game support the company" or something along those lines.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 10,760
Grahf replied on Mon, Sep 22 2008 11:24 AM

The game isn't worth $50 anyways. It is more like a $30 game.

I beat the Internet... the end guy was hard

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Grahf:

The game isn't worth $50 anyways. It is more like a $30 game.

Yeah I have to say I've totally stopped playing.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS