Yet another browser

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815
recoveringknowitall Posted: Mon, Sep 15 2008 5:30 AM

I myself am not the most dynamic of web surfers so ie has always sufficed for me, but I've been aware of the most popular alternatives for some time now. Although I've never had much interest in venturing out of my comfort zone and trying another web browser, my curiosty is growing. The advent of Chrome has thrown another option in the mix and just when I was about to start exploring my options, I stumbled across yet another one that many of you may not have heard of. It's called Flock.

I'd really like to hear pplz experiences with different browsers and find out which ones ppl like the best.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I use firefox day to day. I have add ons that I just miss when using another browser. Chrome is fast, but in my opinion way to barebones for me to use. It is my back up if something won't render in firefox now. Flock is really cool. If you are addicted to socal sites like myspace and facebook then flock is nice. It's based off Firefox with some heavy customizations. IE 7 is ok its just so slow. Not a bad browser by any means. I never liked Opera much. It just does wierd things I that bother me. I'm sure if I forced myself to use it then I would get use to it.

Go through the Firefox add ons and anything you wish a browser would do or act like you can change. Good to see you giving other browsers a try. Even in a month if you go beck to IE all the time at least you know what's out there. No reason to lock yourself in.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 715

the obvious ones are - ie8, opera 9.5, and safari whatever iteration its at along with chrome.

then there is firefox and based on its sorce code are others such as flock and songbird which add other features such as social addons and a full media manager.

i use firefox mainly and also opera. firefox for the addons and being able to easily turn on and off anonymous surfing usings the tor network.

in linux i use opera/epiphany/firefox depending on my whims.

all above are free.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

bob_on_the_cob:
IE 7 is ok its just so slow
Not with my PC/connection... at least not IMO.

bob_on_the_cob:
Good to see you giving other browsers a try
Haven't given others a try, just contemplating it. I'm a creature of habbit and it takes alot for me to break out of my comfort zone... maybe 1 of these days if I feel the need.

Thx for the replies though... I just wanted some feedback.

BTW: Sry if my stubborness/closed mindedness aggitated anyone. lol

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

recoveringknowitall:

bob_on_the_cob:
IE 7 is ok its just so slow
Not with my PC/connection... at least not IMO.

bob_on_the_cob:
Good to see you giving other browsers a try
Haven't given others a try, just contemplating it. I'm a creature of habbit and it takes alot for me to break out of my comfort zone... maybe 1 of these days if I feel the need.

Thx for the replies though... I just wanted some feedback.

BTW: Sry if my stubborness/closed mindedness aggitated anyone. lol

I have fios into my house at 20mbps and I can see that IE is slower than the others. Not to bad, but I have about 10 tabs that open as my homepage and It takes a good 30 plus seconds to load them. In firefox its only about 10. After that it's not that noticable.

Everyone is a creature of habbit. I force myself to use other media players, browsers and such. I used chrome for 3 days to see if I could get use to it. In the end went back to FF but I gave it a try.

Your not aggitating me. If anyone is so worried about what browser you are using that they get pissed off then they need to find a hobby.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

bob_on_the_cob:
I have about 10 tabs that open as my homepage and It takes a good 30 plus seconds to load them
I think I can probably open 20-30 tabs in 30 seconds, but what ev.

bob_on_the_cob:
Everyone is a creature of habbit
I disagree, but it's not worth debating.

bob_on_the_cob:
Your not aggitating me. If anyone is so worried about what browser you are using that they get pissed off then they need to find a hobby
I put lol on the end of that sentence because A: It was a joke and B: If I actually did I wouldn't really care anyway.

BTW: I respect your oppinions... nuff said.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 6,135
jtm55 replied on Mon, Sep 15 2008 8:09 AM

Hi All

At Home I use Opera 9.5, at Work IE7.

ASUS Z7S WS

EVGA 295 GTX

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 RAID 5

Intel Xeon E5420 Harpertown

HT Omega Claro

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX

mushkin 6GB 3 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Harmon Kardon HK 3490 W/ Energy RC 10

LG W3000H-Bn

SILVERSTONE SST-TJ07

Plextor PX 755 SA

Windows 7 Ultimate

Areca ARC-1210

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 155
Cmoazz replied on Mon, Sep 15 2008 10:07 AM

I've been using FireFox since it came out and it definetly overtook IE.

I download Google's Chrome and I've got to admit, I still haven't gone back to FF yet, still testing it out though. I still have FF installed so I'll probably keep them both. Chrome is more my style, very clean and to the point, I love that you can search from the address bar, it's excellent.

I really need to win one of those contests.

Current Spec's - eMachines T4160:
1.6-GHz Pentium 4 CPU, 256MB of PC133 SDRAM, Windows XP Home, 40GB hard drive, 16X/10X/40X CD-RW drive, NVidia TNT-based graphics card with 32MB of SDRAM

Waiting for Nehalem to do my first build!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Sorry I was tired there.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

I have 36 sites on my favorites list and it took ie 7 just under 40 sec. to open them all in tabs... that's fast enough for me.

I'm sure the others have their merrits, but for now anyway I'm content with ie.

Like I said though, thx for the feedback guys!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 235
Points 3,140
totot replied on Thu, Nov 27 2008 11:59 PM
Microsoft is coming with some addon for IE which will make it more competitive with FF and other popular browsers. I do use IE, opera ( it may act funny at times, but it is fastest of all - and I am on satellite connection), and FF. I find FF to "eat" too much RAM even with hardly any addons and scripts running and not a whole lot of tabs open either..
Sager 8662 Core duo t9600 @ 2.8Ghz 4GB DDR3 Nvidia GTX 260M Seagate Momentus 320GB @ 7200 Windows 7 pro, 64bit OEM I will try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

its FF or death for me...lol... though i have used flock before...

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255
tanka12345 replied on Fri, Nov 28 2008 12:35 AM

Hi,

I mainly use Firefox 3, but use Opera or Internet Explorer as backups if a page can't display properly. I've also never used Flock before.

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

tanka12345:

Hi,

I mainly use Firefox 3, but use Opera or Internet Explorer as backups if a page can't display properly. I've also never used Flock before.

Flock is for the heavy myspace/facebook/etc. users.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

bob_on_the_cob:
No offense to anyone who fits that description, but I am the polar opposite of that description.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

recoveringknowitall:

bob_on_the_cob:
No offense to anyone who fits that description, but I am the polar opposite of that description.

Me too. My girlfriend used it for a while. It has a sidebar so you can see your social network updates and post stuff without going to the sites.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS