Intel X25-M 80GB SATA Solid State Drive

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,851
Points 1,171,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Sep 8 2008 11:10 AM

Though the migration will be gradual, starting first at the consumer level, then moving into the industrial and enterprise space, it's a matter of time before the world literally goes solid state for its storage. In the short term, especially at the consumer level, the SSD market is expected to have explosive growth over the next year or so, some analysts predicting well in excess of 100% annually. It goes without saying, Solid State Storage is a safe bet.

Today Intel just bellied up to the table and dropped their chips down on the SSD market, and in typical Intel fashion, they're going in big. The following is a full evaluation of Intel's new consumer-targeted X25-M Solid State Drive. Is Intel playing to win? You tell us...

Intel X25-M 80GB SATA Solid State Drive

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Dang I really want 1 of these bad @zz drives!

Based on the performance, I'd have no problem droppin 4-5 bills on it... if I had the money.  :(

You might think I'm crazy for my willingness to come out of pocket, but 80gb drives are all I use because I don't require much storage space since I don't have a big music collection, only keep 2-3 games installed @ once and don't store any vids on hdds.

BTW: If HH offers 1 of these as the prize for the next contest, expect to see me post about 1000% more than usual!!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Wow you said it would be from a big player. Didn't see Intel coming though. Also didn't see that speed coming. Great review. I am now much more excited about SSD.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 460
Points 7,010
AjayD replied on Mon, Sep 8 2008 1:48 PM

It's nice to see actual performance on par with claimed performance for a change. The write speeds are a little lackluster, but they are made up for by uniform performance, high throughput, and class leading read speeds. These drives certainly deserve to command a premium over their competition, but double the price is a little excessive. This drive would be fantastic for an OS drive, although 80GB is a little restrictive. The 160GB model would allow a lot more room to breathe.

I am even more anxious now to see how the soon to be released Samsung 256GB MLC based drive will stack up, both in terms of performance and price. With claimed read performance inline with these new drives from Intel, and write performance far eclipsing Intel's (MLC), SSDs are really starting to get interesting.

Nice one HH! I was eagerly awaiting this.

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Sep 8 2008 5:05 PM

The price is steep, but the performance is sweet. Things are going to be great when competition brings the cost down on these.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

I musta missed something... what is the MSRP anyway? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

A arm, leg, and your first born!

or $600 one or the other can't remember which.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Mon, Sep 8 2008 7:25 PM

Good stuff...and the first born you say...how about the last 1 he's mean as hell...they would give me a dozen or so of em just to take him backBig Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

The youngest always the figherWink

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9369&Itemid=1

Fudzilla clams a 160gb SSD on the way from Intel. Now thats getting in the usable range.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 155
Cmoazz replied on Sun, Sep 14 2008 1:25 AM

I'll be picking one up for my next build, go Intel!

I really need to win one of those contests.

Current Spec's - eMachines T4160:
1.6-GHz Pentium 4 CPU, 256MB of PC133 SDRAM, Windows XP Home, 40GB hard drive, 16X/10X/40X CD-RW drive, NVidia TNT-based graphics card with 32MB of SDRAM

Waiting for Nehalem to do my first build!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS