Win a $5,000 Tech Makeover Courtesy of Intel!

rated by 0 users
This post has 51 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,113
Points 1,184,170
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Aug 20 2008 1:16 PM
Is there someone in your life insisting that technology, like a fine wine, only improves with age? Are you carrying a cell phone the size of a brick or trying to surf the net on a computer that fills an entire room? Do your mom or dad print your e-mails and reply by phone? Is your best friend the only person you know who still listens to cassettes on a boom box or watches movies on Betamax?

Do you need a tech makeover? Does someone you know need one?

Intel invites you to submit your story or nominate someone you love for a chance to win a $5,000 tech makeover with setup and training from the crew here at HotHardware!

To enter, register and upload photos or video of the tech travesty in your life. Tell us:
  • What do you (or the nominee) want to be able to do with technology that you can’t do now?
  • Where do you want to be able to use your computer, and why?
  • Why do you want to take your personal technology to the next level?

Entries will be voted on by the community (including you!), and considered by our “ceWebrity” judges:

Entries must be submitted by September 8, 2008 and the winners will be announced sometime in early October.

It’s time to come in to the twenty-first century, and Intel and the rest of the crew involved want to help make it happen. Tell us your story today!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Aug 28 2008 4:17 PM

Hey All.  Dave and I will be travelling to the winners' location to get them set up personally.  This should be a fun one for us...let us know what you think!

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,573
Points 54,790
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Aug 28 2008 4:23 PM
Haha! They'll either be totally pumped or horrified! We're coming to your house and we're bringing our router... muuhhahahaha!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,474
Points 47,055
ForumsAdministrator

amdcrankitup!Big Smile

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

thats pretty awesome. Can I remove all tech gadgets from my home and list myselfBig Smile. gonna have to rack my brains on this one and see if I can think of anybody.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

O I so have the best idea, check out my cardboard box.... hahahaha

So if Dave and Marco come out then will the come to game?

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Aug 28 2008 6:56 PM
Quick... gotta get my Amiga 1000 out of the closet. :)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Hmm. . . I don't even own a pc. I swear.Wink

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

What if I bribe you guys with lots of beer and good food!

seriously though. Is it gonna be based on the most outdated technology someone is using or the want or need of what someone wants to do. Like for instance say I really wanted a video server in my home to store movies and watch on TV and possibly use in a Home theater at some point in the future. Does that qualify or are you guys looking for someone who is just running a really old pc and they desperatley need an upgrade.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Thu, Aug 28 2008 8:11 PM

bob_on_the_cob:

Hmm. . . I don't even own a pc. I swear.Wink

Yeah ...um .... i'm aw posting this from the aaa library ...yeah thats it the library.Angel

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 5,500
Wow, how incredible is HH. First the monthly contests now this. I really do love this place. With that being said coming up with what I would do with a $5,000 dollar tech make over will be really tough, but I'm pretty sure I'll come up with something.

This is my Sig. There are many like it but this one is mine.

OIIIIIIIIO

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Thu, Aug 28 2008 10:08 PM
open to us residents only? or will you fly international?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Thu, Aug 28 2008 11:09 PM
I wish it was me. But it's my mom I finally talked her into buying a decent sell phone. Well she told me to order her one so I got her a Env2. It was an upgrade from a Samsung phone I bought 4 years ago and gave her 2 years back now. But as far as it goes she's still using a P3 800 with 256 megs of ram and an old video card of mine I threw in it. Oh and I also put a stick of ram in it I cant remember how much it was but I think its Sdram. Problem is it won't take anything else. She was saying she was going to get a laptop (she will use it as a desktop replacement and almost died when she found out that would be over 600 dollars). So she scratched that plan for now. I think I finally talked her into getting the comcast triple play. At least she'll have broadband. Rofl I remember when she had an apple IIE, this is how much she need a tech makeover I think she's had two computers since the apple 2e. The one she has now she got as a throw away by the board of education. Oh and she was a teacher a principle and a Curriculum director for the county. She needs it super bad (the technology makeover)
MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Fri, Aug 29 2008 2:35 PM
Come on guys vote for my MOM she needs it worse than any of us
MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,573
Points 54,790
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Aug 31 2008 12:59 AM

Folks, put your "I need a tech makeover" stories into the site here:
http://www.needatechmakeover.com/

As well as this thread at HH too of course. Wink

Editor In Chief

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Sun, Aug 31 2008 1:18 AM

Will do Davo

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Sun, Aug 31 2008 2:58 AM

promotion:

Eligibility: The FM Tech Makeover Sweepstakes (the “Promotion”) is open to legal residents of the U.S. (excluding New York, Florida, Rhode Island, Puerto Rico), eighteen (18) or older, as of the date of entry, who have an active e-mail account and Internet access as of the beginning of the Promotion period

ok so every one i know is excluded :-(. ouch why you gotta be down on ny like that! plus the international people....

edit- id like to nominate amdcrackitup (if he doesnt win)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,474
Points 47,055
ForumsAdministrator

ice_73:
 ok so every one i know is excluded :-(. ouch why you gotta be down on ny like that!

Umm...because Hillary represents?Surprise

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Sun, Aug 31 2008 5:01 AM

i like clinton.... bill clinton rocked. seriously he was a great president.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

ice_73:

i like clinton.... bill clinton rocked. seriously he was a great president.

I agree. I don't hold such high feelings for his wife however.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,573
Points 54,790
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Aug 31 2008 11:17 AM

ice_73:

promotion:

Eligibility: The FM Tech Makeover Sweepstakes (the “Promotion”) is open to legal residents of the U.S. (excluding New York, Florida, Rhode Island, Puerto Rico), eighteen (18) or older, as of the date of entry, who have an active e-mail account and Internet access as of the beginning of the Promotion period

ok so every one i know is excluded :-(. ouch why you gotta be down on ny like that! plus the international people....

Hello Ice, we're checking into this now.  I didn't see the NY/Florida/RI limitation myself.

Thanks

Editor In Chief

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

Super Dave:

amdcrankitup!Big Smile

Whats this Super Dave!Confused

Oh yeah Spammers! No more!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Sun, Aug 31 2008 3:33 PM

Dave_HH:

ice_73:

promotion:

Hello Ice, we're checking into this now.  I didn't see the NY/Florida/RI limitation myself.

Thanks

np, im sure it has to do with the usual red tape stuff of some one from the promotion living in ny/florida/ri stuff and to prevent their friends from winning... would be nice though if ny was included... :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

how long does it take for your entry to appear. I submitted 1 on fri and it's not up there

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

ice_73:
id like to nominate amdcrackitup (if he doesnt win)

Dont know how to respond to this but thanks Ice and SuperDave for your gestures  again! Wow what a good group of people here!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,474
Points 47,055
ForumsAdministrator

amdcrankitup:

Super Dave:

amdcrankitup!Big Smile

LOL...I wondered when you would see this, AMD!Big Smile While you might suspect that the rig shown in your signature would cause me to nominate you, that is only part of the story. Those of us who know you realize that you are fighting many different battles, and we are proud to have you with us (and it would be cool if your new Grandson/Granddaughter had some really nice stuff to play with when they visit you)!Surprise I encourage you to respond to this Tech Makeover and tell them your story!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Mon, Sep 1 2008 1:17 AM

Yes it seems he could certainly make use of it, and even better he is already and avid HotHardware fan

Amdcrankitup for techmakeoverYes

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Mon, Sep 1 2008 1:27 AM

Super Dave:

amdcrankitup:

Super Dave:

amdcrankitup!Big Smile

LOL...I wondered when you would see this, AMD!Big Smile While you might suspect that the rig shown in your signature would cause me to nominate you, that is only part of the story. Those of us who know you realize that you are fighting many different battles, and we are proud to have you with us (and it would be cool if your new Grandson/Granddaughter had some really nice stuff to play with when they visit you)!Surprise I encourage you to respond to this Tech Makeover and tell them your story!

i totally agree... though i didnt see you nomiante amd first. well we both have the same goal. with the tech make over im sure you can get yourself one more stick of 64mb ram on your rig :-p

cmon go skull trail!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Mon, Sep 1 2008 1:35 AM

warlord:

Yes it seems he could certainly make use of it, and even better he is already and avid HotHardware fan

hey perhaps if amd wins the new computer he could fold for us.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,474
Points 47,055
ForumsAdministrator

warlord:

Wouldn't it be really great if one of our guys wins this makeover?!!! 

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

hmm, I still don't see mine up there. not that I would win anyway. I only see 6 entries.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Tue, Sep 2 2008 9:06 PM

nelsoncp21:

hmm, I still don't see mine up there. not that I would win anyway. I only see 6 entries.

isnt project frostbyte a tech make over kinda :-p

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

true it is. But if HH wanted to come up with the hardware for it I wouldn't complainBig Smile. Seriously though I have always wanted a HTPC/video sever capable of storing lots of HD movies and being able to view it on multiple displays. I know there are many others who could use a tech makeover and are living in the dark ages more then me but it's something I have wanted for years and doing frostbyte and moving and the wedding I don't see it happening for a very long time so I thought what the heck I would throw it out there anyway. Not to mention it would be alot more fun for Davo and Marco then your average pc and home network. Besides from what I have seen not to many people have entered the contest.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Wouldn't it be awesome to have Davo and BigWop set up you house. Oh come set up my pc guys! I have a hard time with the little green mouse plug thingy.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

yeah hopefully they don't end up at someone's house who is completely clueless just misfortunate.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

bob_on_the_cob:

Wouldn't it be awesome to have Davo and BigWop set up you house. Oh come set up my pc guys! I have a hard time with the little green mouse plug thingy.

Not that Im worthy of a make over but I would let Davo and Marco come to my house guess I got to supply the Beer and Jack Daniels!!

Guess That means I got to shampoo the carpet and stuff get a couple of strippersStick out tongue! Have to be some real cheap ones!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

amdcrankitup:

Have to be some real cheap ones!

Tongue Tied

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,474
Points 47,055
ForumsAdministrator

^LOL^

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 5,500

Hey guys, I agree AMD deserves a tech makeover like no other, but since there are 3 grand prize winners I was hopeing you would help my sister take home one herself. I will post her story here  as soon as she uploads it to the contest site. To sum it up she has battled stage 3 *** cancer for the last 4 years and as a result of her chemotherapy is suffering from a condition called neuropothy. Basically she is in severe pain for the rest of her life. On to why she needs a tech makeover. She lives in the boonies South Carolina. She is stuck with dial up internet access, because she is too far from a switching station for dsl, and cable doesn't run to her home, it's too far in the middle of nowhere. Here only hope for high speed internet access is satelite called Wild Blue; wich she cannot afford because due to her sickness she has been out of work and they are living on one salary, her husbands. There is alot more to the story wich she will upload and I will post here, but they have had it really tuff over the years. If you guys could support her I would be forever in your debts. She has been really strong and been beaten down by life. This would be huge for them. Please help her out.

Thanks,

Stephen.

This is my Sig. There are many like it but this one is mine.

OIIIIIIIIO

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Fri, Sep 5 2008 12:34 AM

i didnt know there were three grand prizes. hopefully both your sis and amd will win :-). 

Page 1 of 2 (52 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS