Darn GFX card

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 175
Sur13 Posted: Mon, Aug 11 2008 11:51 PM

hey, i finally got my card to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D Wasn't inserted all the way lol XD. BUT, it only worked for like 3 days then one day in the morning, i tryed to start it up and nothing, no display! after several restarts, still nothing :x . I finally took the card out and it once again worked but switched itself back to the on board GFX. then the next day i put it back in and it once again worked *Yay* But after a restart once again, no diplay so again, i took it out and bam- it works (on on- board GFX). So any ideas?? Personally i think its the PSU but just want to see what yal think. :arrow:

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Tue, Aug 12 2008 12:48 AM

Which card and since ya mention it what size psu?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,478
Points 47,090
ForumsAdministrator

What video card, what mobo, and exactly how do you have your video configured in the BIOS? 

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 175
Sur13 replied on Tue, Aug 12 2008 11:18 AM

1. Its a palit geforce 8600 GT card.

2. K8MC51G mobo (pic: http://www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard/AMD/k8mc51glf.aspx )

3. 300 psu (minimum requirement for the card)

4. Well once the card actually works, it automatically changes to init first from the pci- e slot. Thats why i have to take out the card to get any display after the said restart problem, so the computer doesn't find it and thus is forced to use on- board.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,478
Points 47,090
ForumsAdministrator

Sur13:
Well once the card actually works, it automatically changes to init first from the pci- e slot. Thats why i have to take out the card to get any display after the said restart problem, so the computer doesn't find it and thus is forced to use on- board.

Is there anything else that is changed in the BIOS upon restart? If so, the CMOS battery has died and the board is resetting to default. That could explain why it switches back to onboard video.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Tue, Aug 12 2008 6:18 PM

Also try to disable the onboard in device manager this would keep the onboard from  being active and forcing the detection of the pcix slot.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 175
Sur13 replied on Tue, Aug 12 2008 10:08 PM

The thing is that i purposely force it to use the on board by taking out the 8600 GT. The reason being is that after i restart the computer once i install the card, i get no signal on screen from the 8600 or the on board GFX. Since i get no siganal i take out the 8600 so it doesnt detect it upon boot up and thus uses the on board. Basically i want to know why after i sucessfully install the card ,use it for like a coupel of hours and then restart i dont get a signal on the monitor. All it does is run the cpu and 8600 fan and light up the blue power butoon. Even as i am writing this i am using the on board GFX card only this time the 8600 GT is still inserted as before, i would have to take out the 8600 GT for the on board to be activated. Earlyer today, i beleive the card overheated upon playing cod4, everything was the wrong color and big fragments i beleve they are called, appeard on display.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135
If your getting artifacts in games you might have a bad card. Is it still under warranty? also go to the start bar and click run and type dxconfig and see if windows is seeing the card when you are running the onboard.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Tue, Aug 12 2008 11:19 PM

Yes it certainly sounds like a  bad card . Artifacting is never a good sign but as long as it's not doing in 2d it's usually not to late to correct. How is the airflow in the case? Do you have clean air space or is your case a varietable rats nest of wire? What is the room temps? Case temps? Gpu temp? What case do you happen to have?Also what brand is the psu could you give us the serial for it too? Alot of times issues with video cards come back to the supply being at its limit and i seen you post it meet the min but sometimes manufacters will put a rating over the suggested max and sell it. For example 275w sold as 300w. This actually happens alot on cthe low end. I know we have battered you with questions but we are digging for a proper solutionBig Smile

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS