rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,539
Points 54,440
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH Posted: Mon, Aug 11 2008 1:21 PM
It was a little, tiny, tiny addendum at the end of a WSJ article, but it was there: in an interview with the WSJ, Steve Jobs confirmed that the suspected iPhone "kill switch" does indeed exist.  Of course, for investors, talk of the App Store downloads are probably more exciting, and Jobs detailed that as well:

If sales stay at the current pace, Apple stands to reap at least $360 million a year in new revenue from the App Store, Mr. Jobs said. "This thing's going to crest a half a billion, soon," he added. "Who knows, maybe it will be a $1 billion marketplace at some point in time."

"I've never seen anything like this in my career for software," he said.

60 million downloads?  Of course, many were free, but Apple still averaged $1 million in sales a day.

Now about that "kill switch," which we wrote about earlier:

Mr. Jobs confirmed such a capability exists, but argued that Apple needs it in case it inadvertently allows a malicious program -- one that stole users' personal data, for example -- to be distributed to iPhones through the App Store. "Hopefully we never have to pull that lever, but we would be irresponsible not to have a lever like that to pull," he says.

The lack of openness about this "feature" is likely what caused the firestorm of emotion across the Web.  And, naturally, the continuing lack of openness about decision-making processes regarding what gets on the App Store, and what stays there, doesn't help.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Aug 11 2008 1:59 PM
Now Apple just needs to create an app that will let you disable the kill-switch... and sell it to you for $29.95 on the App Store.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Fri, Aug 15 2008 11:50 PM

I all honesty I can see where the need for such a thing would exist, however its like the U.S. having nukes laying all over....we better not friggin use 'em EVER -- if we do it'd be the end of the world (in Apple's case the end of ALMOST the world :p)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS