Why do you overclock?

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510
nECrO1967 Posted: Fri, Aug 8 2008 12:11 AM

For starters, I am only refering to the CPU for now. My reasons for posting this are twofold, for my own curiousity and to stimulate posting and conversation. Most of my overclocking took place back in the days when hardware had yet to surpass software. Overclocking was a practical thing. You did it to get more performance out of your rig. Now, I will say that I see people post benchmark results of their overclocking results, but from what I have seen the increases, while sometimes significant, can really only be seen in benchmarks. IE the gains are barely perceptible to the user if at all. Now if I am wrong about this please point that out. I am mearly stating what I have seen. And last, please understand, I am not bashing overclocking in any way. Personally I stopped doing it when I saw that I was risking either frying my expensive parts or shortening their lifespan to get what to me looked like minimal returns. So what is it? Bragging rights? Actual performance? Just to see how far you can go? reply and let me know.

I used to carry a hammer in my computer tool kit. Just for fixing the packard Bells though.......

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Fri, Aug 8 2008 12:27 AM

I overclock for many reasons if i'm honest. The thrill of the hunt. The obesession for power. As well as i do see significant increases in my apps,games,and most important to me Folding. Overclocking isn't dangerous to your hardware unless your careless about your overclocking methods. The only times I have ever damaged stuff was when i knowingly went to far and it was my fault but I just wanted to see how far was to far. I have operated with with overclocks for years and never seen a part fail that was 1 properly cooled and 2 tested stable. For example I run a Q6600 that specs at 2.4 and it runs 24-7 at 3.4. That is a good jump in performance and i got it for free.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510
nECrO1967 replied on Fri, Aug 8 2008 12:36 AM

Good answers Warlord. I'll admit as well that the only stuff I ever fried was because I was careless or more often than not just pushing the envelope too far. When I stopped, I was at the point when it was hard to resist the urge to go ever further. (Resistance is futile!)

I used to carry a hammer in my computer tool kit. Just for fixing the packard Bells though.......

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 10,760
Grahf replied on Fri, Aug 8 2008 2:23 AM

I don't. I used to do when I was poor student and couldn't afford to buy the hardware I wanted. Now I find it more fun to tinker around with building specialty systems like HTPCs, computers as audio systems wired up the entire house, etc. Go Go Gadgets!

I beat the Internet... the end guy was hard

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135
I use to say that I overclocked solely to get more for my money. I would buy more cooling but if say I got $100 cpu and a $50 cooler if my cpu didn't perform like a $150 cpu then it wasn't worth it. To a point this is still true but I do have to agree that I enjoy the thrill of the chase. I get kinda disappointed when I hit a wall and can't overclock. I use to find it a chore when all I could afford was a AMD Duron 1600, But I enjoy it now. I do have to say that I hate benchmarks. The only benchmarking I really do is run fraps in whatever game I'm playing to get a general idea of FPS increases.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510

Most of the benchmarks these days are synthetic and don't give you results that apply to everyday use. Maybe just a watermark or a general idea of performance. That's kind of what I was hinting at. If you don't pay attention you won't realize that the difference in benchmarks, either between two systems or before and after results, are only noticeable in the benchmarks. A human could not discern the diffence. To me that's a waste. I have seen people brag about getting 3-5 more FPS in a game. Well 3-5 FPS isn't even noticable. You went to a lot of trouble for results you can't see.Judging by your replies Warlord I can see that is not always the case and real noticable gains can be acheived, but I do see a lot of that stuff.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135
It all depends on were that 3-5 FPS got you. If it got you from 148 to 153 FPS then who cares but if it got you from 25-30 FPS you can tell big time in a game.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510

Very true. The one time I remember a guy I knew went from 90FPS to 100FPS in BF2. Not a human on earth could see a difference. But I see your point.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Fri, Aug 8 2008 6:24 PM

Another prime example of overclocking turning into usable power is the oc on my gtx260 at spec it produced 5500ppd now at a high oc it produces 7500ppd in real world performance results such as this matters . Also i do agree for most ocing might not make since if only getting 7-10% high speeds. but if your talking 25% and up these are noticable improvements.

It would be the same for me as saving $150  over the cost of the gtx280. Since the oced performance of the 260 out performs the 280spec  it makes since to save the money(especialy if you couldn't afford the 280 in the first place such as myself) and get the free bump. Although i agree synthetics blow since it is in no way an example of performance you can expect in game. However if and oc can help you go from say 2x AA to say 8x AA in a game that you play then it was worth wild. IMHO if those extra fps helped you enable an effect or raise image quality its worth the effort , but then again i always was the guy to try to beat a porshe  with a pinto....lol....Oh and the latter can be done but it wasn't cheapEmbarrassed

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510

That's why I left GPU overclocking out of the question. I do see advantages there. Do you water cool your GPU? With the heat output and power consumption of modern GPUs, I would not be able to sleep at niht with them OC'ed on stock cooling.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135
Cut the firewalls out and mount a mustang engine it that pinto and its a force to be reckoned with!
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Fri, Aug 8 2008 6:40 PM

Actually on the 8800GTS 640m runs 675/1566/2016 with a temp on full 24-7 load with folding on stock cooler runs 61c and the gtx260 stock cooler of course folding 24-7 with 744/1533/2536 temps 58-60c with room temps of up to 79f

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510

See to me 60+ degress C makes me as nervous as Paris Hilton's accountant......

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Fri, Aug 8 2008 7:01 PM

Most people i see on average idle at my load temps and run  75 - 85c at load on the same cards so i thought my temps where rather impressive.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510

I'm just used to CPU temps so I see 60C and feel faint.  :)  Your a bad influence Warlord. I have been out of the OC game a long time and you are tempting the performance geek in my head!   :)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Fri, Aug 8 2008 7:16 PM

Don't fear the temptation thats why we are all  here HotHardWare and we shouldn't forget that. Ya got to put the Hot in there at some point. Overclocking is your friend Big Smile  Hi everyone my name is warlord and I am addicted to power..lol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510

LMAO

Step 1: I accept that I have no power over my inner geek.....

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. I have no clue why it happened....

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510

LMAO.....

Step 1. I accept that I have no power over my inner geek

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 5,500

Under load with my heavily oc'd 8800 gts 640 I get 71c. I didn't think that was too bad. the only thing I did was replace the thermal paste and tape with as5. Other than that it's stock. Currently I have an e 6400 oc'd to 2.8 ghz. It gives me a few extra fps in crysis, though suprisingly imo dosn't multitask (think codeing or riping dvd and surfing the net) as well as my Prescott did. I think my next upgrade will be to a quad core and a newer chipset, so I can actually get more than 20 fps in that game with the eye candy turned on. Thats down the road though, My newborn demands all my extra funds at the moment.

This is my Sig. There are many like it but this one is mine.

OIIIIIIIIO

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

60*c for a cpu is high and pushing it but not for the gpu. Most are usually over that at stock

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

It gives me somthing to do for one. anf the most fun part is trying to get the most out of the chip. I think 3.2ghz on a stock 2.4ghz chip isnt to shabby considering im only cooling it with air....

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS