Researcher Uncovers iPhone App "Kill Switch"

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,565
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Aug 7 2008 10:12 AM

First: there's no real evidence this is a "kill switch" that Apple will use, but still, based on Apple's protectiveness over the iPhone, it wouldn't surprise us.

Jonathan Zdziarski, author of the upcoming book iPhone Forensics, has revealed an URL that he suggests Apple is using to keep a list of any "offending" applications: https://iphone-services.apple.com/clbl/unauthorizedApps.

Apple apparently can disable App Store software remotely on your
iPhone 3G. The iPhone calls home and poof the application is nuked.

Needless to say that this has caused a bit of a blog ruckus (Techmeme). MacRumors notes
that Apple has come under fire for removing App Store software without
notification and the ability to simply deauthorize apps already
installed on an iPhone is worrisome. iPhone Atlas points out that Jonathan Zdziarski found Apple’s blacklist in a forensic analysis of the iPhone 3G.

Is this something to be outraged about? Yes, it’s creepy that iPhone
can phone home and deactivate your apps, but the risk-reward is clearly
in Apple’s favor.

The risk / reward analysis ZDNet does is creepy in and of itself.  The fact that we can actually look at a product with this sort of functionality, and still freely embrace it --- or rather, line up and fight over it --- shows what kind of hold Apple's i(Products) have over us.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 210
Points 2,845
shanewu replied on Thu, Aug 7 2008 11:06 AM
Sheople, baby...it's all about the sheople...or is it sheeple?

The revolution will not be televised...or blogged...or IM'd...or iPhoned! :)

"Everyone always wants new things. Everybody likes new inventions, new technology. People will never be replaced by machines. In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy." - Michael Scott (The Office)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510
nECrO1967 replied on Thu, Aug 7 2008 11:52 AM
I agree Shane. If the people who are getting shafted by this voted with their wallets it would stop. My challenge to the iPhone users. Stop using it. Get a cheap replacement and stop buying software for it. Everyone stop buying it. And everyone affected by this send an e-mail to Steve Jobs telling him what you are doing and why. When Apple sees it's pretty new toy dying because of their actions, their actions WILL change. On another note, I find it troubling that Apple, or any other company, has that kind of access to a persons property. it belongs to me. I paid for it. If I want to download and use a program that rings me up every hour and calls me names, then that is my right. Someone should write an app for it that calls Steve Jobs every hour and insults him.....

I used to carry a hammer in my computer tool kit. Just for fixing the packard Bells though.......

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 105
I can add no more to this, other than to say I could not agree more with the last 2 posts!

"Someone should write an app for it that calls Steve Jobs every hour and insults him....."

LOL!! I love that!

Jim

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS